Fly Tying
carpflyguy

Tying in the car

Sitting upright in a chair for long periods produces back pain. I almost always sit in a recliner and use a lap board with apedestal base when tying. I don't see why that won't work in a car. I have reservations about the safety of doing so since even the slightest bump can drive a hook point or scissor tips home but that is up to you. If you wonder about how many bumps there are on our roads, just close your eyes next time you are a passenger and focus on it or hold out you hand like you have a glass full to the brim with water in your hand and see how often it moves enough to where it would spill even a little.

Personally I would start to turn green within a few minutes anyway. I can't read in cars or trains either, airplanes are fine as long as we aren't on the ground moving. It drives me crazy.

Wouldn't even consider tying in the car. Too many little things to fall down the sides of the seat.

I do tie while on the road ... during the Winter ... in a hotel.

I'm usually packing too much as it is without adding fly tying stuff to it. I thought about it when I was taking long flights to Guam and Japan for work before 9/11, but never in a car. I've got a 14 hour drive up to northern Ontario coming up in a couple of weeks. Plan to have my flies tied before I go. I plan to listen to music and check out the sights when I'm not driving.

I had a nice clamp vise that would clamp to the steering wheel. During my morning commute into the Cities with long stop and go traffic I could always get a few flies done on the way to work. It was kind of tricky when getting stopped on ramps and stuff with the wheel turned but a swivel head rotating vise helped with that. When traffic would occasionally speed up I learned to tie a whip finish with one hand while changing lanes with the other hand. The only time I almost had a crash was when some gal putting on her makeup in the rear view mirror cut off a guy shaving who then side swiped a guy reading the newspaper who cut me off. I had to swerve over and run a guy watching a video on his screen into the ditch but I was the only one who came through without a scratch. Idiots on the road nowadays. Ain't safe to tie a fly anymore.

/\

I like it Vicrider!

You had me for a bit. I was gonna tell you of all the hazards but you beat me to it!

LOL

Cheers,

I used to tie a lot of flies in the car when I was a novice. My dad always said if he had to stop real fast the scissors were not going to be pretty!I used a regal vise with a pedestal

Decisions, anyone who drives in rush hour traffic has seen all of those things (well, maybe not fly tying) being done. I worked with a gal who had a bartendress job after our day jobs. One time she happened to be behind on a side road we used to avoid traffic on freeways. Always faster if you knew the right roads. Well, she kept dropping back, then catch up, drop back, catch up, until she turned off. I asked her about it the next day and she said she was changing clothes and doing makeup before she got to the bar job.

I would tie in the car but theres not enough traffic where I live to tie in the car, and plus what Mike said, I drop way too many things it would be near impossible for me. But i'm sure i'll try it once in the future.

The late Jack Gartside ("trout bum", striper bum") was known to tie in his cab while waiting for fares at Logan Airport. He would attach the vise to his steering wheel. I also picture him doing deer hair patterns including his pheasant hopper while in the cab.

I know this isn't likely what you are asking but I thought somebody might find it interesting.

I had the same thought! Great flies came from Gartside!

I have a small clamp travel vise and a box with tools always in the car.

I often sit in the passenger seat of the car (While parked in the car park) and tie a handful of flies over lunch or during a break.

I always feel so relaxed when I return to the office with the anticipation of the weekend's fish

Cheers

VB1971

Before 9/11 we did bring tying kits on the airplane,,,, flying from New England to Montana was a long boring trip.

Always had one stop and plane change.

The staff never gave us any grief,,,, except to be careful and not drop small hooks on the seats.

Some years ago a N.E. dealer had Ford Explorers set up with a drop down tray and tying kit for the back seat passengers.

The vehicle was only offered in dark green with saddle interior.

Regards,

FK

Isn't Mikechell playing Pokemon endangering the driving public enough. While I'm driving I try not to tie small flies cause I can't see them and drive well at my age.

Seriously, never the car, but tying while camping has always been a great pleasure. I have seen some really nice stream side tying kits. I like the steering wheel board. Before 911 while flying I saw a passenger tie on a plane. Can't do that anymore.

HEY !!!
What I do with my Pokemon doesn't effect my driving, nor is it anyone's business. Well, I can't say it doesn't effect those who might look in and see what I am doing ... but they should be watching the road, not me.