Fly Tying

I just choose to spend not much more on fly tying then it takes to have decent equipment, I spent quite a bit on this I've wanted one since i was a kid, it's yet to really start paying itself off though.

For Christmas my wife gave me an Ekich automatic bobbin holder. She gave the least expensive one with the polymer frame at $70. The wire frames are $100 to $110.

Took a little getting used to but I love it. Would like a couple more.

I have a tendency to be heavy handed and break even 70 denier (8/0) thread. This bobbin holder is tensioned to handle 17/0 thread. Haven't broken my thread since I have gotten used to this bobbin holder and all I have used with it is the 70 denier. Did I say I love this bobbin holder?

I am sure everyone likes the bobbin holder they have adapted to their work flow. But the fact is, the Nor-Bobbin does what no other bobbin can do. Nothing else on the market performs like the Nor-Bobbin. Like it or not, it is in a class by itself. If you don't like it, or feel it is too expensive, I am sure you can justify your feelings. But, you cannot get any other bobbin that rolls up excess thread automatically, except the Nor-Bobbin. Tension adjustment is easy-peasy with your fingers, or using thread wraps around a leg of the bobbin. The ceramic tube will not cut your thread either.

The Nor Bobbin is not the only automatic bobbin available. The Ekich is automatic also.

What puts the Ekich above the Nor is that it uses your standard thread spool.

The benefits are no loading of a spool. By not having to load a spool you maintain the factory tension of the spooled thread.

I have to admit having a bobbin that rewinds thread great. The Ekich gives me that without the hassle of loading spools.

But, you cannot get any other bobbin that rolls up excess thread automatically, except the Nor-Bobbin. Tension adjustment is easy-peasy with your fingers, or using thread wraps around a leg of the bobbin. The ceramic tube will not cut your thread either.

i usually tie with the tip of the bobbin holder tube close to the hook shank so there is no excessive thread problem. adopting this method any brand of bobbin holder will work

after a simple adjustment of the bobbin holder arms to tightly clasp the thread spool, using hand/finger pressure is an added method of tension adjustment and most lokely used by all tyers

ceramic tube/tipped bobbin holders are pretty much the norm these days though you can still find bobbin holders with metal tubes

so the nor bobbin holder retracts thread. i guess if its worth paying the extra money for that convenience thats ok too. ill buy some extra materials smile.png

I like the Erich, you for sure have to get use to releasing the tension before cutting the thread. I keep lots of thread loaded in bobbins so what I use most is the rites due to cost. I think they are a good deal for the money

I like the Erich, you for sure have to get use to releasing the tension before cutting the thread.

laugh.png I don't have any automatic bobbin holders ... but that's one aspect of them I wouldn't have thought of. Needing to rethread one after snipping the line because it retracts. Having the bobbin spin in your hand might surprise you enough to make you drop it, too, like the palm buzzers.

WAY OFF SUBJECT.....

Poopdeck,

Is that a Stanley #60 double spoke shave in you picture? I looks like you were making a hammer handle.

Michael

Nothing like a sore back to read stuff posted a year ago. Somehow I missed your inquiry. Yes it is a no. 60 and it's my favorite spokeshave. I was making a hatchet handle.

A bobbin that retracts the tread reminds me of the automatic fly reels. I'll stick with my now 6 dollar thread holders. I'm a little upset that they went up in price by two bucks.

Anyone know of a source for genuine Frank Matarelli bobbins (with FM on the foot). Google search only shows old discussions or a fairly recent ebay sale.

Thanks, Bob H

I like those Stonfo bobbin holder. The tension adjustment means I can continue tying without thinking of releasing additional thread by loosening my grip. I made a special bobbin for it from aluminium and spooled 1000 yards (yes takes a while...) of 55Denier GSP on it. Practically the only bobbin holder I now use from #22 midges to big streamers. True, spinning the bobbin is not as smooth as with others, but the added weight of my alu bobbin doesnt make it that bad. I prefer using dubbing loops anyhow.

Another reason I like the Ekich is I take advantage of the rotary function when tying nymphs or applying any body material for that matter. When you finish the body with a standard bobbin holder you have to rewind the thread back on the spool. With an automatic bobbin holder you just pick up the holder and move back to the fly. No manual rewinding.