Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

Black Redfish Worm Vid!!

I thought it was a pretty well made video of a simple fly. I agree with Mike...misspelling has no place on a video, and I don't like the music.

Also, it's "moot point" not "mute point." My grammar policeman needs kick in.

Ok guys, I will take all of your suggestions into account, hopwefulyl it shows

And I'm going to have my dad proofread it. Mike you would like him, hes a lot like you

Google is a great proof reader...anytime I don't know how to spell a word I type the word in Google. It's never let me down.

I tinhk Ill tpye all my mssegaes meessed up form now on jsut to msess wtih teh gramar poilce

Some of you guys are just wound too tight....

How do you handle it if something in your life really goes wrong?

I imagine some of you guys as the grumpy old man that lives on the corner and comes out the front door a screams at the kids when they step on your lawn.

I tinhk Ill tpye all my mssegaes meessed up form now on jsut to msess wtih teh gramar poilce

I imagine some of you guys as the grumpy old man that lives on the corner and comes out the front door a screams at the kids when they step on your lawn.

I've had plenty in my life to go wrong. Most of which are beyond my control. I see no reason to excuse things like grammar which are in my control, however. I think for a long time, say 40 years, teachers are teaching to pass standardized tests and ignoring the basic rules of grammar which I (and a lot of you) learned in the third grade...possessives, for example. What a direct object is. Standardized tests gig you if you don't add an apostrophe in the proper place but don't gig you if you add one in an improper place.

The affect is to dumb-down the English language. Can you communicate without knowing or using proper English? Yes, of course. But to do so could be the product of either bad teaching or laziness.

I used an English grammar book from the 1950s (3rd grade) to teach basic writing rhetoric to adults back when. It's surprising what we forget. Along with misuse: "mute" is to remain silent, "moot" means arguable.

I've had plenty in my life to go wrong. Most of which are beyond my control. I see no reason to excuse things like grammar which are in my control, however. I think for a long time, say 40 years, teachers are teaching to pass standardized tests and ignoring the basic rules of grammar which I (and a lot of you) learned in the third grade...possessives, for example. What a direct object is. Standardized tests gig you if you don't add an apostrophe in the proper place but don't gig you if you add one in an improper place.

The affect is to dumb-down the English language. Can you communicate without knowing or using proper English? Yes, of course. But to do so could be the product of either bad teaching or laziness.

I used an English grammar book from the 1950s (3rd grade) to teach basic writing rhetoric to adults back when. It's surprising what we forget. Along with misuse: "mute" is to remain silent, "moot" means arguable.

That's where you are wrong, grammar on the internet is not in your control or anywhere else for that matter. All you can do it point it out and whine about it,

There are more important things in life to worry about not too mention life is a short ride and I try enjoy my time on Earth and not worry about if someone is using proper English or not.

To each his own. Have fun correcting everyone.

;)

OK people...

Of course proper use of language matters, but it is all relative.

Language is one of the main indicators that someone belongs in the tribe (we are still so freaking tribal, it is not even funny). Now, within the tribe, who cares if the hunters speak a little funny? Nobody, as long as the hunters do their job.

Flats case is a different scenario. He is a young fellow, we do not know if he is going to be a hunter, a gatherer, or what. But what we do know is that until he acquires skills that are self-standing, others will make decisions that affect him directly (school and work) based on things like his language skills.

That's where you are wrong, grammar on the internet is not in your control or anywhere else for that matter. All you can do it point it out and whine about it,

There are more important things in life to worry about not too mention life is a short ride and I try enjoy my time on Earth and not worry about if someone is using proper English or not.

To each his own. Have fun correcting everyone.

wink.png

I didn't mean what you seem to think. MY grammar is something I can control, not yours. Use yours however you want, just understand what you write reflect on your personality. I'll likely never see you in person; my sole bit of information comes from your posts. I'm not responsible for misspellings which I'm fully willing to overlook. It's the other basic grammar mistakes that reflect badly on the writer. Flats didn't make a series of mistakes, he only made one, which is easily corrected.

Guys at least watch the video lol

Great camera work. Too often you see the focus go in and out.

• I like the blue background, but I would try to get a background that also covers the desk and doesn't have the vertical line in it.
  • The eyes seemed a bit crooked throughout the tie. Just a bit off, but before putting something up publicly, I like perfection.
  • I would end with a repeat of the material and information on yourself.

Looks good. I also viewed on mute. If you aren't speaking directions, then this is basically a pattern video and maybe figure out how to speed it up.

I really like it, but am offering constructive criticism. Don't take these things as big flaws.

No, feathers5, on this I can't lighten up !!!

There's a serious problem with the "dumbing" down happening in this world today. Texting and all the other forms of instant messaging are allowing people to make up words, misspell words, improperly abbreviate words, incorrectly use punctuation and capitalization ... or not using either of those, et al.

You write, "Wow, Mike, you are a reel hard ass. This ain't English class. Lightin up."

Since I do not know if you're trying to be facetious or not, I think those two words create the impression of stupidity. I can let "ain't" go, since they add new words to the dictionary each year, mostly to cater to the dumb masses that don't recognize incorrectness.

Yes, I can be a hard ass about this. It relates, to some degree, to the adage, "The only thing needed for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing."

Yes, Mike, I was being facetious.

Again, I won't comment on the music because I watch without sound. The video is acceptable.

At .57 ... you write "tie in a short peice of zonker". It's piece ... not peice !!!

PAY ATTENTION IN SCHOOL !!! PROOF READ !!!

You're doing nice, short videos. Don't make yourself look like a dummy by misspelling words on them.

Mike, I taught English for 12 years. I understand your concern, but your tone is rather harsh. Would you speak to him like that person?

That type of mistake, while unfortunate, is common. Hell, I am even guilty of getting in a hurry and making errors.

While I do appreciate your passion for education, I fear that the tone does more harm.

Thank you for understanding,

Shawn

I thought the video was fine for an uncomplicated fly. The music was bad. There was only ONE error in misspelling, which has led to a lot of discourse. Some of it by me.

But to the OP, good camera work. I'd like to see this applied on a more complicated fly.