Fly Tying
Moshup

Favorite Wet Fly ?

Thought it would be interesting to see people's favorite wet flies posted. This is one of mine that I like and it's called the L'il Cree. Have found it pretty productive as a search pattern.

post-59483-0-23526400-1482554578_thumb.jpeg

Afraid I really must insist on a couple. On rivers it has to be the Hear;s Lug 'n' Plover.

GRHE_0007_zpsyso7f4hn.jpg

For the Lochs... there are so many to choose from. I think one of my own devising. The Highland Rough Fly in Orange.

Orangerough_0004_zps44de82da.jpg

Cheers,

C.

I am so confused by the "wet fly" moniker. I looked up a definition ... found this from Orvis:

"Wet Fly

(1) any fly fished below the surface of the water; nymphs and streamers are wet flies;
(2) a traditional style of fly tied with soft, swept back hackle, and a backward sweeping wing; the forerunner of the nymph and streamer."
So ... under the first definition, this is my favorite wet fly, as it catches more fish than any other fly in my arsenal.

Panfish Attractor

These two:

pherl-and-pheasant__zpsol2s1g8e.jpg

PT & Partridge / Peacock Herl & Partridge, #12 - #18...

This version, using dyed UV2 Purple Peacock from Spirit River...

pur-pea-n-part-1_zpsivdtpbd4.jpg

Took a whole bunch of these, on a certain high elevation lake in the Eastern Sierras, this past Summer...

34-rainbow-lv-lake-aug-16_zpskwaync2c.jp

PT/TB

Sometimes favorite is not the same as most productive. For example, day in and day out I use a #10 seal bugger in one of a half dozen colors because they are incredibly effective. If I had to fish to eat it would be that fly. Jack Cooper (from Salem NH) probably tied tens of thousands of #12 woodys or little woodys or wood duck flies as it was known in Ma/NH. It is simply lemon wood duck tail, bronze peacock herl, wood duck wing and rhode island red hen collar on a 3906 or 3906b style hook. He tied without a bobbin and could crank them out like a machine. I had quite a bit of success with this pattern.

My favorite for appearance and fishability is perhaps the Wood Special which was a Joe Sterling (Joe's Tackle of Maine) pattern. I recall it was created as a brook trout fly but works well on all varieties. Something about wood duck.... if I see one on the water it makes my day.

woodspecial_zpsqdcq1c3h.jpg

Please, I plead with you PLEASE. The Partridge and Orange is a very old traditional dressing. It consists of Dark orange, almost chestnut silk and a partridge hackle mostly grey with a hint of brown, and nothing else. There is a version tied to use in the winter, which adds a fine gold wire rib. If that isn't the fly you are talking about Please don't call it Partridge and Orange. Your fly may be great, It may even be better than the original, but I doubt that. Even so if it isn't a P&O. Please don't call it a P&O.

Cheers,

C.

Please, I plead with you PLEASE. The Partridge and Orange is a very old traditional dressing. It consists of Dark orange, almost chestnut silk and a partridge hackle mostly grey with a hint of brown, and nothing else. There is a version tied to use in the winter, which adds a fine gold wire rib. If that isn't the fly you are talking about Please don't call it Partridge and Orange. Your fly may be great, It may even be better than the original, but I doubt that. Even so if it isn't a P&O. Please don't call it a P&O.

Cheers,

C.

That is how I tie it, Dark Orange floss, light brown(chestnut thread), and hackle from a farm raised partridge skin. And I will add a gold rib to get it into deeper pools. Now, if I am in a hurry I will change the materials up a bit, like using orange thread through out. But the original dressing is by far the best.

Not the best picture but these are two favorites in what I consider true wet flies. Soft hackles, i.e. North Country Spiders in all their many shades and variations catch fish everywhere but only meet the Mike Chell first definition, the second definition is true wet fly. If the wings aren't their it ain't a wet fly.

DSC01629_zpsihamdign.jpg

DSC01626_zpsdhshgqba.jpg

Nice flies everyone. "To wing or not to wing that is the question: Whether 'this nobler in the mind

to suffer wingless flies without regret!" I for one have no regrets Prince Hamlet .