Fly Tying
SilverCreek

Remebering George Croonenbergs

Here is why I flyfish. You can see how the TRRTI influenced my writing. In my opinion, TRRTI is not a book about fly fishing so much as fly fishing as the canvas for the Macleans' family story.

http://dnews.com/looking_out/fly-fishing-why-fly-fish-for-this-we-look-to/article_2cecab28-592d-5525-b2ed-27c8f574fc7f.html

Great article Silver.I fly fish for some of the same reasons.

RIP Dave Engerbretson.

Mikechell, sometimes your overzealous efforts to dehumanize yourself are too successful. Fortunately there are many on this thread to salvage what you tried to tear down.

Rocco, Shoebop and Vicrider ... you all seem to be missing my point.

I am NOT putting down the movie. I have watched it, once, and it was okay.

(by the way ... it's "A River Runs Through It" ... not "The River Runs Through It")

I am NOT putting down the book.

However, I tried reading the book, once, and it didn't "keep my interest". I think I got about 1/2 way through it.

But I do have issues with what many people see as "important" these days.

Nobody from the entertainment world is worth "hero worship". Nobody from the sports world is worth "hero worship".

I don't understand how more people voted in "America's got Talent" than in the Presidential Election!

Soldiers are dying in wars overseas

1 year ago today, 49 people were gunned down in a nightclub.

More than a decade ago, someone that help make a movie died.

Gee ... I wonder which of those events I am going to pay attention to?

Honestly, I was just voicing a non-PC opinion, before. I will not apologize for those opinions.

I will apologize for THIS post, since I know it will ruffle some feathers, being even less politically correct.

I'll PM Steve as soon as I hit send on this. I'll let him know you think I've stepped over some line.

If you're not interested in the thread, just don't read it. There's no need to spoil it for those who are interested.

Why, redietz?

Why should I refrain from reading a thread ... knowing that most threads never stay on topic, and that there's usually interesting stuff on every thread.

Why is it, that only positive opinions are acceptable?

Why would my post ruin anything for others. In my first post, I just asked a question and posted my feelings on the matter. I would've left it there, had not others countered.

In your own words, if you don't like my post, don't read them.

Look, I understand ... people hold different things in reverence. So, in the effort to quench the fires I seem to have started. If no one asks me another question on this thread, I'll not add any more posts.

I hate for this kind of thing to be unraveled in a public forum but you have made this a public issue, Mike

As a mod here, Mike, I believe your role is to make everyone feel welcomed and valued. Instead, you have let your personal beliefs cloud your thinking to the point of disregarding the feelings of a lot of people that you are meant to support. Do you see the irony here? There was no humor in your responses, only ridicule and contempt for the feelings of others concerning a matter you deemed beneath our consideration. This is not a question of Political Correctness but of respect for the thoughts and opinions of others.

I did not miss your point at all, Mike. I understand it all too well... Everyone who doesn't think like Mike is to be disregarded...and publicly humiliated for ever bringing it up...because your opinion is what matters here. You have used your position here as a mod to bully someone who thinks differently than you and that is shameful.

Personally, I don't care if you like the movie or not. That is not the issue here. The issue is how you treat others with a different opinion from yours and since you are a moderator here, this makes it a big deal. I was disappointed in you before you made your excuse for your poor behavior, now I have lost my respect as well. An apology would have gone a long way.

Okay ... once again ... I am NOT a moderator. I am a "monitor". I have no administrative abilities. I have no control over anything that happens on this site. I am merely an extension of the real moderator's eyes. He doesn't read every thread, every day. I do.

I will apologize to all who've taken offense. I am truly sorry that you feel the way you do about my posts on this thread.

I will restate my above offer:

"If no one asks me another question on this thread, I'll not add any more posts."

Mike Pm'd me to look at the thread and said to delete his replies if I felt they were over the line.

I just got back from a trip so not gonna sit here and go into a long detail but... Mike alerts me to things that meed looking at because I can't see every thread. He does a good job of it in helping me out and even alerted me to himself in this post so he does exactly what I hoped he would do as helping out here. Far as over the line...He didn't do or say anything that was over the line. mike has opinions on things and is free to share his opinions just as anyone else here is. If they turned to insults or such then that would be over the line but no one has done that.

With that said I personally love the movie a River Runs Through it. I've read the book and probably seen the movie 100+ times. Usually watch it at least 2-3 times a year. To me it is about family and fishing and a person that created a lot of his own troubles so I can relate to that movie and it holds a special place in my heart. It hasn't had a negative impact on the sport at all and IMO it has actually helped the sport quite a bit. Trout and threatened streams&rivers need lots of friends to defend them when frac mining and other issues arise. And with the huge amount of fly anglers today in the sport waters have more help now a day than ever which is a good thing.

Soooo lets just leave it at that. Some people love the movie others don't, some people feel one way about this and others feel another way about that, all just opinions, there's no need to get bickering about such things. There's more important things to worry about, such as how I just had to return home 1 day early from a fishing trip because a huge storm knocked the power out of the motel ^ whole town of Mio dry.png

McLeans account of logging in the mountains were my favorite parts of the book. I believe they were recounted in the short story section. The book in my opinion was very well written and I really liked it. I liked the movie too but I liked the book better.

Mike, maybe you should try some of Hemingways novels. Just a thought.

i just ran across this thread and feel that this movie doesn,t hold a candle to "The old ma and the sea" with spencer tracy as a fishing story. the story seemed silly to me. the only thing that made the movie any good was the outstanding acting..the acting was the lipstick on this pig. lol.

i just ran across this thread and feel that this movie doesn,t hold a candle to "The old ma and the sea" with spencer tracy as a fishing story. the story seemed silly to me. the only thing that made the movie any good was the outstanding acting..the acting was the lipstick on this pig. lol.

You mean The Old Man and the Sea, the novella by Earnest Hemingway. I happened to read the book before seeing the movie.

Here is a free PDF of the book:

https://la.utexas.edu/users/jmciver/Honors/Fiction%202013/Hemmingway_The%20Old%20Man%20and%20the%20Sea_1952.pdf

hi silver creek..thanks for the pdf..i was at one time planning to read the book but never got around to it..too busy fishing. lol. i enjoyed the movie "Jaws" and then later read the book by Benchly..what a let down the book was and it sold in the many millions..thanks again. oh, and i would like to mention that none of them hold a candle to "Moby-Dick". lol.