Fly Tying
Papa Baske

Help with colouring uv cure resin

M.O.E. (mother of epoxy) flies were made using epoxy

or a thread underbody like this bonefish bitter

Transparent ... see through ... clear, colored glass look. Got it.

Many food colorants are made without water (actually a petroleum based liquid) and can be added to many other products.

My suggestion if food coloring, from your local grocery. I use it to color epoxies I use in wood work.

The worst thing that can happen ... curing the resin could "boil" the coloring agent, causing the resin to crack or shatter. Be sure to wear safety glasses when experimenting.

The best that can happen ... you'll be a hero to all other's who want to color there UV resin.

uv first. Color lightly with marker and then Uv again. Similar to the bonefish fly, bitters, that you posted. Good luck!

uv first. Color lightly with marker and then Uv again. Similar to the bonefish fly, bitters, that you posted. Good luck!

Ooooooooooo ... layer in some marker color between two (or more) layers of clear resin !!!

Even if it doesn't give you exactly the look you're going for ... I'll bet it can give some truly dramatic effects

That's why it surprised me you couldn't find that fly you're looking for on the other thread. You're google kung foo is strong, master !!!

I was thinking of a much simpler solution which I have used often. I just use colored markers to color the UV resin and then put another coat over top.It works just fine for me

get in touch with your inner female and use your eye shadow

this is really starting to get silly

I've used markers to color UV resin. Mainly on poppers to highlight colors after I've used MOP transfer foil on them. I've also used Krenik metallic thread for the heads on pan fish bitters. Papa Baske what type of flies are you wanting to tie?

I bet food coloring would work. If it's mixed in the loon UV before drying it would probably stay colorfast as well. (I see mikechell beat me to it. This post is a tough one to keep up with...)

I've used markers to color UV resin. Mainly on poppers to highlight colors after I've used MOP transfer foil on them. I've also used Krenik metallic thread for the heads on pan fish bitters. Papa Baske what type of flies are you wanting to tie?

Not any specific pattern. Just wanted to experiment a little. I think i will give the markers a go. Seems like the easy way. Thanks for all the suggestions guys