Fly Tying
Mike West

Just got off the phone with Sage...Grrrr

This 9'-10' being the manufacturers only offering is why I use glass rods, but that St Croix Mojo Bass looks pretty usable. I need to find dealer near me.

i may be wrong but i heard rod length was upped to 10 or 11' for BASS tournys..i think you can doodle sock now..live bait is probably next..

Out of curiosity and because rods should not be green ...

There used to be a goofy "superstition" that painting a Harley green was bad luck. I've never heard the same thing about fishing rods.

Is this some local fairy tale or is it just a personal preference?

There used to be a goofy "superstition" that painting a Harley green was bad luck. I've never heard the same thing about fishing rods.

I’m just an old fart I guess. Fly rods need to be brown, gray or black anything else I can’t stand.

I wouldn’t give you $20 for a barrel full of rods that are red,blue,orange, green,yellow etc.

They look like cheap Disneyland/Walmart kiddie rods to me.

Whoever started this colored rod craze needs thier butt kicked... it’s probably the same guy who designed all these new reels that look like the rims on crack dealers car.

The comment was meant somewhat frivolously.But...

The sage rods at the local Cabelas are a putrid color and kinda reminds me of when we had a house full of babies. The dark green examples Steve posted recently are nice looking with the color wraps he used. By and large though I'd chose brown, grey or black over most other colors for a rod. Green is good for a tractor or an antique roadster.

Have you heard the expression "paint it green and throw it in the woods"? used when a item is junk or useless, it'd blend in and be hard for someone to rescue.

I’m just an old fart I guess. Fly rods need to be brown, gray or black anything else I can’t stand.

I wouldn’t give you $20 for a barrel full of rods that are red,blue,orange, green,yellow etc.

They look like cheap Disneyland/Walmart kiddie rods to me.

Whoever started this colored rod craze needs thier butt kicked... it’s probably the same guy who designed all these new reels that look like the rims on crack dealers car.

Fluorescent line must really send you over the edge. I just know that the bass you're holding in your avatar was over eating LOL !

Steve is it workable to take a little off at the ferrules? I know back when metal ferrules were common cutting out some in the middle was a means of getting shorter.

Cant really take any at the ferule. Problem with tip over butt fit is if you take it from the butt/male ferule then the new end is too large to fit into the female/tip ferule, and if you take any from the female/tip ferule then its too small to fit over the male/butt ferule. So has to come off the ends.

The "Blue" in the first section ... or the "Cobalt" in the second.

Contrary to most opinions ... I like the bright colored rods. One reason, I usually have 6 rods or so in my boat, each one with a different fly for the differing conditions.

It's much easier to chose a rod by color than to see each fly.

But the other reason is, I see in color ... and I like that. I don't like black and white photography for that very reason.

I don't mind dark or "natural" colored rods, I just prefer bright colors.

Of course, blue leads the list.

Colored fishing rods are not anything new . Remember Yellow Eagle Claw rods, white Shakespeare Wonderrods and I had a blue True-temper spinning rod in the '70s.

So back in October I flipped my kayak and broke one of my favorite rods in the butt section, a Sage GFL 9 6 8wt.. .

so explain to me the sorcery involved in cutting pieces out of a 9 foot blank and ending up with a 9'6" rod......

maybe it's still too early for the coffee to have helped.

So back in October I flipped my kayak and broke one of my favorite rods in the butt section, a Sage GFL 9 6 8wt.. .

so explain to me the sorcery involved in cutting pieces out of a 9 foot blank and ending up with a 9'6" rod......

maybe it's still too early for the coffee to have helped.

It was my 1st Bass rod and I bought it that long because at the time I fished out of a float tube to contraption.

I’ve wanted one of these shorter rods for a long time and seeing how Sage can’t fix my broken one it’s all the excuse I need to get one.