Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

The batteries in my cautery ran out

Vic, i'm going to give the lighter and guard another try-out, see if I burn less threads. It's something to consider.

I never worried about the prior life of my cauteries. They were from the ER so I'm pretty sure they never touched anybodies hoo-ha. Superficial wounds I can handle, (rubbed down profusely with alcohol).

I would think hot enough to cauterize would be hot enough to sterilize?

Cautery tools are great, but I got sick of mine eating batteries like candy. Look into a corded wood burning tool if you (and you probably do) have a close wall outlet. It works pretty much the same way as a cautery and no batteries to ever replace. I use mine around hook eyes on deer hair bugs. I used to recess eye sockets on hair bugs but don't do it anymore. I just glue right to the side of the bug with gel CA and that's plenty durable enough without making the house smell like burnt hair.

I have a couple ex-surgical instruments and one that I picked up pretty cheap (around $10 if remember right from the craft store). I really like the precision for removing tiny amounts near the hook eye - although I have found for very pinpoint work, I have to rest both hands on my vise and control the tool in both as well.

flyty, I take an albuterol inhaler in my nebulizer a couple of times a day to keep lungways open. After a treatment my hands shake like Parkinson's for about an hour. No tying during that time. Even later depending on the day and my system I'm still not steady enough to use the cauterizer yet. Usually two hours will get hands back to fairly normal use but years ago I used to have the steady hands of a surgeon (definitely not one though) but age, the lung treatments and other meds mean my hands are never completely steady anymore. I can still tie size 24 nymphs but my vise probably won't see a size 26 Adams with wings again.

to add to the conversation here, I'm a big fan of the cauterizing tool. I tried the wood burner but it is too awkward for my style. You need to plug it in, I don't feel I have the same control and I'm always thinking it is going to fall on the floor and burn the carpet due to the sheer weight of the cord. The batteries last quite a few bugs. I use it mostly to form eye sockets in deer hair as in this 10" american eel I tied this morning. This is a 7.5 mm eye. I use beacon 527 as an adhesive and as mom used to say "it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye!".

post-54877-0-41532100-1548006161_thumb.jpg

post-54877-0-35652900-1548006171_thumb.jpg

post-54877-0-43383100-1548006234_thumb.jpg

Bodkin has worked pretty well at cleaning hook eyes for me, and has the advantage of no batteries, and no heat to set things on fire. The clean up of material around the head, I just don't get, but I'm a slow learner. The eye sockets in hair flies kinda looks good, but probably not something I will ever do. I use very few eyes like that and don't see the purpose on a floating hair bug, the only ones I use deer for.

Interesting ideas though and at the price of those "disposable" med units it makes sense to replace the batteries if using this way.

If you start tying "realistic flies" (especially nymphs) you will find a cautery tool is useful for bending the joints in "Japanese legs" (which are really just plastic filaments like you find in some brooms.) Just don't actually touch the leg or it will melt through and fall off.

Speaking of batteries (solar cells ... it's just how my mind wanders) There's a full eclipse of the Moon tonight/morning. Sometime around midnight.