Fly Tying
breambuster

Emerger Round Of The Well-Stocked Fly Box

I'm in this round with LaFontaine's Sparkle Emerger

When I get that tied right that is one of my favorite flies. If I do those for a swap I have to do about double the number to get those I'd send in.

Getting just the right amount of sparkle yarn (I use Aunt Lydia's Rug Yarn) and getting it to distribute around the body evenly is the most difficult part of the fly for me.

Hey BB just finished mine. If the PO is open tomorrow Ill send em out tomorrow, otherwise it will be Tuesday or Wednesday knowing how long they took to get to you last time.

Thanks again for hosting.

Pickin

In response to Vicriders post, I was favorably surprised by the quality of Perfect Hatch CDC, its pretty cheap but actually quite nice. I only have bought 1 bag though, so I have no idea of consistency. I may just have gotten a good bag.

OK Guys, I have closed this swap with 10 participants. Each swapper will need to send in 10 flies for this swap. I have just added Fishingbobnelson to this swap. I have been waiting for his flies, but they haven’t arrived yet, so I have worked out a deal. He is going to tie up another set of Casual Dress flies which was his pattern for Round 1 and send enough of them to me for anyone who was in Round 1 and also in Round 2. He will mail the rest of the Round 1 flies to those swappers individually.

So, remember, 10 flies for this swap.

Wowzy, wowzy, wowzy. Talk about a close call. I think this is the closest I’ve ever seen in all my years of swapping. Pickin6ofem’s flies arrived today and when I picked them up along with my pocketknife to slit the envelope, I noticed a large, jagged rip halfway across the large envelope. Then I saw that the rip was right at the corner of the Altoids box inside. I reached through the rip and had no problems at all in sliding the box out through the rip. The rip was way larger than large enough for the box to have fallen out at any time. I opened the box and all the flies inside look to be intact. They’re here Pick, but you should thank your lucky stars.

BB

Wowzy, wowzy, wowzy. Talk about a close call. I think this is the closest Ive ever seen in all my years of swapping. Pickin6ofems flies arrived today and when I picked them up along with my pocketknife to slit the envelope, I noticed a large, jagged rip halfway across the large envelope. Then I saw that the rip was right at the corner of the Altoids box inside. I reached through the rip and had no problems at all in sliding the box out through the rip. The rip was way larger than large enough for the box to have fallen out at any time. I opened the box and all the flies inside look to be intact. Theyre here Pick, but you should thank your lucky stars.

BB

WOW thats crazy I guess Ill go to a more secure shipping bag or something. What are most guys sending them in these days? Ive never had that happen but I havent swapped for many years. Thanks for letting me know definitely something to think about.

Pickin

It is really rare to see that kind of damage, but it does happen because the USPS uses so many machines today to do what people used to do. I use a padded envelope. I get a package of them at Walmart, sometimes they have 5 in a pack and sometimes 10. I think the padded ones are less likely to get hung up in those machines. I use the ones that are about 5” X 7”. They are large enough, and again I think that size gets the the machines better than a larger envelope. I’m pretty sure that the corner of your Altoids box got hung in the machine and started the tear in your envelope.

BB