May Flies From the Vise

6 minutes ago, Flat Rock native said:

Lemon-Lime Snowshoe Trude

#14 AP ringeye chassis + 

Won Unwucky Wabbit

That’s all, Folks.

👍

1 minute ago, Mark Knapp said:

Yes, it should be a good halibut fly, rockfish and ling cod too, if you get it down to them. It would make a real good pike fly too. The fly should be weighted a little, to balance it with your sinking line. Otherwise the fly flags up while the line sinks and your leader gets fouled up in your fly line. It's a mistake to put too much weight on the fly too, then it doesn't cast well.

What size hook did you put in there?

I think there will be enough weight, knowing that I have a gamagatsu 6/0 and an owner 7/0 bait hooks. By the way, owner bait hooks are the best. But yeah, those are two heavy hooks.

I needed something that doesn't bend easily. That's why I don't like eagle claw.

Mike, a pike might bite it, but not much else in Alaska. Maybe some salmon and sheefish, but it's a big fly, meant for big species. If i made a smaller version, then that would work, but I don't have any smaller bait hooks. 

1 hour ago, TIER said:

This is supposed to imitate an Alaskan Pollduck.

About 6 1/2 inches long with a little bit of weight an the head. Top is muskox, and the bottom is white bucktail, both from mark knapp.

the head is crawfish chennile

Go back to taking pictures on the desk top. It's mo betta. Put down some computer paper (or colored paper) under it so we can see the fly.

The weight on the head will help balance the fly with your sinking line. Try something with a lot of white, I'd stay away from bucktail though, it's counter productive on a fly you want to sink fast.

12 minutes ago, TIER said:

I think there will be enough weight, knowing that I have a gamagatsu 6/0 and an owner 7/0 bait hooks. By the way, owner bait hooks are the best. But yeah, those are two heavy hooks.

I needed something that doesn't bend easily. That's why I don't like eagle claw.

Mike, a pike might bite it, but not much else in Alaska. Maybe some salmon and sheefish, but it's a big fly, meant for big species. If i made a smaller version, then that would work, but I don't have any smaller bait hooks. 

Big burbot, king salmon and chum salmon would eat it as well as pike. I often fish my salt water flies in fresh water.

Mike, we fish smaller flesh flies a lot in Alaska, to imitate decomposing salmon in trout streams (it's killer). We don't have any large hydroelectric dams though. All of ours are pretty small, like on streams that are twenty feet wide, for small villages and mines. They are usually in the mountains where few fish are.

33 minutes ago, Flat Rock native said:

Lemon-Lime Snowshoe Trude

#14 AP ringeye chassis + 

Won Unwucky Wabbit

That’s all, Folks.BFBE02B7-8C36-4AFB-AB74-8CBD80204DB1.png

very nice

2 hours ago, Sandan said:

(Pics cut for brevity) Nice job McFly. Hopper Juan comes up with some great patterns. I'm really partial to his sniper baetis, slim Shady 5.0 and the one where he uses clear glass beads for a thorax. All 3 of them are killers

Yes he does.  Some good stuff.  Seems like a nice guy also from what I’ve seen.  

3 hours ago, McFlyLures said:

Yes he does.  Some good stuff.  Seems like a nice guy also from what I’ve seen.  

I chatted w/ him at one of the fly fishing shows in Denver , he's a stand up guy

Grey-Wulff-1080.jpg

Grey-Wulff-1080-Front.jpg

Grey-Wulff-1080-Front-2.jpg

Grey Wulff

Hook- Dry fly style

Thread - Grey

Tail - Natural brown bucktail

Body - Grey dubbing

Wing - Natural brown bucktail

Hackle - Dun

2 hours ago, Sandan said:

I chatted w/ him at one of the fly fishing shows in Denver , he's a stand up guy

No way! Juan will drink your last beer, bum your last cig, kick your dog and tell you your sisters ugly.
But he will put you into fish!
I remember when he took a leap of Faith and became a guide full-time.
Truly a gentleman.

Kimo