Fly Tying
Landon P

MY RITE BOBBIN IS COMING TODAY!

5 hours ago, Landon P said:

won't strip 5 billion times

If I've told you once, I've told you a million times ... don't exaggerate !!!

On 6/27/2020 at 2:25 PM, Landon P said:

Man I looked at one of them the other night! It looked so amazing but I dont know if I would buy something that expensive. I was looking at the peak or the mongoose. TO MANY OPTIONS!! 

Griffin Spider Cam is an amazing rotary vise especially for the price. Cam rather than a screw. Sorry to give you another option but you should really check it out.

I had saw that one. I didnt know about some of the reviews so I was gonna try to steer clear about it

43 minutes ago, samsonboi said:

Griffin Spider Cam

That's what I'm using.   It's a great vise for the amount of tying I do.  With the complaints about damaging other vises, I can't guarantee it's longevity.

On 6/27/2020 at 9:54 AM, Landon P said:

Wow sweet vise. Trying to get a job so I can buy a decent rotary vise that doesn't lock up and wont strip 5 billion times

I use a wolf Indiana atlas, it's a great vise especially for the price imo,  built like a tank. Mcfly did like a 10 minute review on one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PatfBRtwGsA

Here's his review after using it for a year

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qulEO9-zZHk

I have the bobbin holder, I like it but I don't use it any more than any of my others. Only when it has the right thread on it.

Handy, I'd think, but pricey.  I have a couple of half hitch tools that I've collected over the years and a whip finisher that works great, but if the price goes down on the bobbin holder tool I'd probably buy one.

As for strange vises, here's my Universal 2, a rotary vise I use sometimes.  I don't know the age.

u 2.jpg

15 hours ago, Gene L said:

here's my Universal 2

Nice Gene L.  I've had my eye out for any of those upgraded Universal vises for a while now, originally made right down the road from where I live.  

Good morning Landon,

I have had 4 vises in my 40+ years of tying now.  I started with a vise made in India and made a mess of that due to over tightening it to get the hooks to hold.  I then purchased a Thompson AA that I used for some years when I was tying for a couple of shops.  When that  finally gave up the ghost I purchased another.  That took me up to 5 years ago.  I researched as many review as I could.  That is when I purchased a Peak.  I did buy the package with all three jaws and added the riser.  I have enjoyed tying with it and can see this will last for a long time.  I not sure I will have enough years to put a dent in this vise.  

This is just my two cents and I hope that it may help you wade through all the vises that are available.

Michael

1 hour ago, essequamvideri said:

Good morning Landon,

I have had 4 vises in my 40+ years of tying now.  I started with a vise made in India and made a mess of that due to over tightening it to get the hooks to hold.  I then purchased a Thompson AA that I used for some years when I was tying for a couple of shops.  When that  finally gave up the ghost I purchased another.  That took me up to 5 years ago.  I researched as many review as I could.  That is when I purchased a Peak.  I did buy the package with all three jaws and added the riser.  I have enjoyed tying with it and can see this will last for a long time.  I not sure I will have enough years to put a dent in this vise.  

This is just my two cents and I hope that it may help you wade through all the vises that are available.

Michael

Thank you. The more I look the more I keep going back to the peak. 

On 7/2/2020 at 6:24 AM, niveker said:

Nice Gene L.  I've had my eye out for any of those upgraded Universal vises for a while now, originally made right down the road from where I live.  

It can be yours.  I don't use it much anymore.