Fly Tying
DogtaEff

Can anyone identify this fish?

Fallfish are chubs.  So are creek chubs,  river chubs,  lake chubs, bluehead chubs, hornyhead chubs, and probably several more that I can't think of immediately.

A local fly shop runs a chub one-fly contest every year.  Any of the above count.

I always thought they were Fallfish. We just call them chubs up here too. The tail looks more forked since it's hanging vertically. Here are a couple of shots of when they get a little larger.

0081A.jpg

IMGP0577.JPG

37 minutes ago, Landon P said:

Isnt a shiner different?

Yes, they (more than one species of shiner) are different.

20 minutes ago, redietz said:

Yes, they (more than one species of shiner) are different.

Ok that's what I thought 

In North America, the round whitefish is found from Alaska in the northwest to Labrador and New England in the east. With the exception of Lake Erie, the round whitefish's distribution includes the Great Lakes.

The range map here shows the range of the fallfish to exclude most of Ontario

https://www.hookhack.com/html/fom110113_fallfish.html

Going by range, it's most likely a round whitefish, but it could be a fallfish, depending on where in Ontario you are, and on how accurate the range data is. I think you would need to bring the fish into a real, local fish guy to know. I'm still not sure you would know for sure.

28 minutes ago, TIER said:

That's a creek chub.

Creek chubs only get to six inches long according to the internet. His fish is at least twice that big.

2 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

round whitefish

round%20whitefish.jpg

Fallfish and round whitefish look very much alike. It's a tough call.

Notice that the Round Whitefish has an adipose fin, the fish in question does not.

1 hour ago, DogtaEff said:

I’m going with round whitefish 

Well...don't.  What you have there is a Fallfish, albeit a rather young one.  They look very similar to Creek Chubs, but there are two easy "tells" and you should get familiar with them as you will likely catch plenty of both species in your angling life.

Creek Chubs always have the spot on the front/base of the dorsal fin when it is extended.  Very obvious in catchable size Creekers.  Another distinguishing difference is the relative positions of the anal fin/dorsal fin on the two species.   The anal fin on a Fallfish is noticeably farther back whereas on Creek Chubs anal fins begin right about where the dorsal fin ends on the body line.  I'll try to find a few comparison pics for you and post 'em here.  You'll see, it's obvious as heck once you know what to look for.  Nice fish, BTW.