Fly Tying
imaxfli78

Any tips????

When tying Poppers/streamers to keep the tail/wing from wrapping around the hook??? Maybe a stiff underwing on a streamer......????

1 hour ago, imaxfli78 said:

When tying Poppers/streamers to keep the tail/wing from wrapping around the hook??? Maybe a stiff underwing on a streamer......????

Sorry I misread this.

The age-old tip is to not make the wing so long it can easily wrap through the hook bend.    Essentially that was A reason for using long shank streamer hooks. 

Then, after about eleventy-billion fish were caught on them, Very Smart people started to say that too many fish were lost on long shank hooks because they provided more leverage to twist out of a fish... it does make sense on paper or in a static test scenario.   (But fishing in the real world, there are eleventy-point-five billion (maybe more) variables affecting each presentation, take, and fight.)  So they told the fly fishing community that only short shank hooks are any good.   In that case, tie your streamers "pre-fouled" with the wing already in the bend of the hook as in the Clouser Deep Minnow.  

For poppers,  tie your tail materials in right where the bend of the hook starts to leave the shank. 

1 hour ago, JSzymczyk said:

eleventy-billion fish

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times ... you guys need to stop exaggerating !!!

50 minutes ago, mikechell said:

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times ... you guys need to stop exaggerating !!!

Did you really mean eleventy-billion times? Or eleventy-point-five billion times?

33 minutes ago, Sandan said:

Did you really mean eleventy-billion times? Or eleventy-point-five billion times?

I've counted.   That's as high as I got before became bored. 

And I did say "about" that many....  :D :D

3 hours ago, JSzymczyk said:

I've counted.   That's as high as I got before became bored. 

And I did say "about" that many....  :D :D

You have much higher threshold for boredom than I do

2 hours ago, mikechell said:

😄

JSzymczyk, You have much higher threshold for boredom than I do

👍😂😎

The solution that many on the saltwater side of things came up with the larger sizes involved, worked in more than one direction... and the tying only takes place after the head of the bug is firmly glued in place.

First, tying shorter tails as noted above is a great strategy.  Next, tying in a “spreader” works as well.

A spreader ( a sparse amount of calftail, usually) is tied in just in front of the hook bend, then rolled around the shank evenly as a first step -then the tail feathers (usually neck hackles) are tied in on each side of the spreader not on top (the exact same way that Keys style tarpon fly tails are done).   Any flash desired is then tied in over the tail.  The only step remains to be adding whatever collar is desired.. between the tail and the head of the bug...

The last “anti-fouling” measure is something I came up with years ago specifically for very soft materials like rabbit strips or maribou that tend to always cause  fouling problems on larger flies.  All that’s needed is a sparse amount of bucktail or similar material tied in first as an underwing, then rolled around the hook shank evenly.  Next you add any desired flash on top of the underwing, then the softer maribou or rabbit tied in on top of that.. If the underwing matches the color of the overwing you won’t even notice it once the fly is wet - but the softer materials on top won’t be able to foul around the hook at all...

”Be a hero...take a kid fishing”

Here's a pic or two to illustrate my last post.  This first photo (my version of John Emery's classic Cockroach pattern) has a spreader up inside the fly where it's not visible but if you look closely you can clearly see that the tail feathers (three on a side - wide, webby neck hackles) are clearly tied in on the sides of the hook - not on top... 

YpMs0Zv.jpg

Next are patterns where the softer tail materials are supported by a bucktail underwing to keep the tail from fouling on the hook... 

emap5Wm.jpg

this is the Razor cut Mullet... and underneath the big rabbit strip tail is a bit of white bucktail that supports that rabbit strip better than any mono loop that  you'll see some tiers use with rabbit tails... This one is on a 2/0 hook... 

iYcDDrE.jpg

This reverse tied bendback pattern is the Natural Slinky in size 1/0 - and underneath all that maribou (a pair of 3-4" blood quills) is a sparse amount of brown bucktail that you'd never notice unless you looked for it,  to keep all of the rest of the wing from fouling... 

4SSXs4c.jpg

This Crystal Schminnow (my version of Norm Zeigler's famous gulf coast snook pattern... ) again has a sparse amount of either calf tail or bucktail underneath that maribou tail... with the color the same as the tail - you never notice it -  but it keeps the maribou from fouling around that #4 hook... 

This is a great tip from Tim Flager for keeping pretty much anything from twisting around the shank.

hmm two videos same thing?😀

heres a tip for adding a dropper loop but its also good for anti fouling for tails

46-dropper-loop.jpg