Tail - Pheasant tail fibers

Ribbing – Gold wire

Flash back - Large flat silver tinsel

Body - Hare's fur dubbing

Muddled RA Green Peter

50714461971_89e70b9348_c.jpg

50714461806_6d7612240b_c.jpg

50713724258_bee8456f98_c.jpg

A quick and dirty tie meant to be fished; used rolled/folded hen pheasant tail instead of prettier, matched wing quill segments (that take me a hell of a lot longer to get right) because I don’t want to cry when I lose it in some willow tangles I plan to toss it under next summer.  Can’t remember the formula I used to dye the deer hair so I’m guessing here

hook - BVFT Dry #10
thread - Veevus 8/0 black 
tag - single strand floss flame/resin
rib - small wire gold
body - dubbing olive 
body hackle - furnace
wing - hen pheasant tail
head/collar - deer hair golden brown  (1 Tbs Rit Golden Yellow/1/2 Tsp Rit Tan/1 cup water)

Regards,
Scott

16 hours ago, Moshup said:

I often have made comment that I thought Rube Cross was the best tyer to come out of the Catskill but I often forget about the great tyer Ray Bergman from Nyack NY.  He is most remembered for his wet flies but his dry flies are nothing short of beautiful.”AC3AFF21-5695-4838-9F54-5FEAF31E25A3.jpeg

(cut for some brevity). You'll get no argument from me about either Rube Cross nor Ray Bergman. Having grown up fishing Schoharie Creek and the Westkill I have a soft spot for Art Flick. Even crashed into his mail box once driving home. He wasn't very happy. His mail box had a fly fisher on it. When the rod was up there was mail to be picked up. Anyhow my attempt at his red quill. 

The dressing of the Red Quill follows: Wings—flank feather of mandarin or woodduck drake

Body—quill of large hackle feather from Rhode Island Red cock, stripped and well soaked Hackle—natural blue dun Tail—few wisps of dun spade or barb feather Hook—No. 12

Size 14 for this one. And UTC 70 denier rusty brown thread. 

PHOTO_20201213_111658.jpg

3 hours ago, Sandan said:

@Pbass. Here you go. When you split the hackle on the bottom you need a light touch. 

@Sandan Wow! Thanks man! I will give it a shot! 

5 minutes ago, Pbass said:

@Sandan Wow! Thanks man! I will give it a shot! 

Go for it. Just remember to use a light touch.  I know I said that once, it bears repeating.  Show us the results too.

On 12/9/2020 at 9:41 AM, JDM1 said:

Thanks @jcozzz! I debated weighted eyes, but since I plan to use a fast sinking poly leader I decided not. Do you think the action would be improved with the weighted head? Also, what shanks do you prefer?

I've caught some big rainbows and lost a handful of others in a little tailwater this year(biggest was 22 1/2"). Spin fisherman tell me that there are some 24"+ fish and so that's what I'm after. I'll fish it for smallies in the spring too.

I would be using this as a warmwater fly so i would want it to get down but on an intermediate line the weight would not be necessary .But i still like the concept .I like to keep things simple,although i am impressed with the multi section articulated flies.All you can do is test and let us know how it did,We all tie flies that look like winners but just dont work the way we imagine,

@Sandan.   That’s very cool about your close proximity to Art Flick.  Was running down his mail box

done with school boy intent ?  I was 23 and living on LI and was a member of a local TU chapter that met in my town 

and that year they had a big banquet with Art Flick being the guest of honor.  I had my Streamside guide with me and I went over to his table to have him sign it and he was a nice guy. Hard of hearing though as he got my name wrong and I brought it back and he laughed and asked me to sit down for a minute and got my chance to talk to him for awhile. Good memory. 
Thanks for the compliments on the tying and I think I can give credit to my improvement for the reason of now having a dedicated tying desk that is always available and also for whatever reason I have a crappy old chair that suits me perfectly and my vise jaws are now positioned directly under my nose with some nice lighting.  Proper set up I think has a lot to do with tying at a improved  level.  Some very cool bugs coming off your vise that are beyond me along as you mentioned everyone else’s. It’s the one positive Co-vid effect !

@Moshup No it was not schoolboy intent, it S taking my eyes off the road right before a hard left hand bend intent. I like your story. A commfortable set up really helps. And time on your hands does too. I have to say your "classics" are really good. They're inspiring me. Thanks