Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bimini15

Nose trimmer for deer hair work?

Just have to ask...

Does anyone here use an electric nose or moustache trimmer for deer hair work?

I wonder if it makes things any easier in any way.

I tried a mustache trimmer once. It sucked and I never tried it again. Might have been that particular one, and others might have different experiences ... but for me, nothing beats a new double edge razor blade and a pair of curved scissors.

When I was tying commercially I used a beard/mustache trimmer for quickly roughing to a basic shape where I had a few dozen to do, but did the final trim with half a double edge razor blade. The one I used was made by Remington, and I still use it to trim my mustache. smile.png

The trimmer saved me a lot of time, but I didn't like to use it for fine trimming, as it was too easy to remove too much material with it. A lesson learned quickly when I first started using it. laugh.png

I use a mustache trimmer on my muddlers, about the only spun hair fly I tie. As Tidewater says it's good for a rough trim which is how I tie and fish muddlers. If I was trying to tie hair like some of the posters on this site, I'd have to go to a blade.

Les

I bought a battery-powered nose hair trimmer, which I modified with a paper-clip and made a rather good dubbing twister. It would also I believe do for braiding a leader, but I haven't tried it.

Again, back when tying commercially, I got a big order from a shop I was supplying & they included several dozen "Slab Side" streamers. They have deer hair heads, not packed particularly tight, and not trimmed real neat either. I used my trimmer to shape the deer hair after tying all the flies. Saved me a great deal of time. For that type of fly, It was worth using, and even when you want to just roughly trim to shape it's worth using particularly if you have several to trim. I never got good with mine for fine trimming and there may be other brands/models that do work great for fine trimming, but mine wasn't good for that IMO, so I stuck with the razor blades. IMO, if you can buy a good brand at a good price, then it is worth trying.

I haven't tied enough deer hair flies since to need to use my trimmer, but certainly would if I get the urge to tie up a bunch. It's a good tool to have when you need it, and like I said, I use it for my mustache anyway so always have one around. wink.png

My statement didnt follow my attachment. Anyway this is what i use. It is a seam ripper for sewing. I confiscated it from the wife. It works great on deer hair. It can be had in most any sewing shop, not shure of the price.

post-35906-0-17817100-1474675643_thumb.jpg

I have a nose trimmer that makes my eyes water when it tears my nose hairs out! Think I might buy one of those doc for my darn nose and ear hairs.

Throw that piece of crap in the garbage instead of trying to shape deer hair.

Hard to beat a double adage razor. One swipe and its cut clean, of course the downside to that is also one swipe and its cut clean lol sometimes that includes your thread or collar!

I've never used a nose hair trimmer for deer hair work. However, I often use my deer hair scissors to trim my nose hairs when nobody is looking.