Fly Tying

post-59466-0-01931100-1468938797_thumb.jpg

I had a scheduled Peacock trip South with a buddy for a previous day last week but as that day got closer, the weather forecast began to deteriorate rapidly with 60% chance of thunderstorms and winds nearing 20. Not ideal for fly fishing, especially after traveling 4 hours to fish for a single day. So I waited. My wife agreed to a trip that weekend after, Independence Day weekend which turned out better as I could maximize the extra day and stay overnight, so I set it up (without a second thought about weather).

Driving down Sunday morning through Naples we entered from the West so I could get a look at the Everglades area for Oscars and Mayans. The water was high and the fish were scarce. I frog hopped through all my favorite areas but the fishing was going to be difficult here so I moved on to the Miami area to hit up the big-boys. We arrived at one of my favorite spots for Peacocks JUST as the winds began to pick up and the skies grew dark. A light rain fell as we arrived at my destination and before long, it began to pour. CRAP!! I pulled the local weather map up on my phone to see if I was an idiot for NOT checking the weather before we left (which the answer to is always a resounding YES). BLEAK! Going to be off and on for the rest of the day.

We waited patiently for a while to see if I was going to get a shot at the water. 20 minutes later, the sun came out but it appeared the next deluge wasn’t far behind. We hit the water. I didn’t see ANY bedding fish and knew everything was going to be deep. I threaded on a 3′ - 9″/per second sink head and my biggest, nastiest Russ Hampton designed Chartreuse Bass Spider I had in my box and heaved it to the water. I had several half-hearted rises but wasn’t getting the kind of enthusiasm I was hoping for so I moved.

At my new location, I was working my fly up a rocky rise when it caught fast…then shot off toward deeper water. Now we’re talking! 5 more minutes and I had my first Peacock to hand. A nice fish but not the size I was prospecting for. I threw at this location for another 10 minutes, then moved again. I spotted a great break in the edge I was working and a deep hole that plunged below that break and put a loop out to sink my fly deep into that hole. First cast got s solid bump so I recast into the depths. The strike was like a car wreck! Instant and violent. Then the weight came to bear on the rod and I knew I had found what I came for. That peacock didn’t come to hand so easily but once landed, I was able to admire this great fish. I was able to take one more fish before the thunderstorms chased us back to the car, and although disappointed that I was only able to get an hour of fishing in after taking the long ride, I was NOT disappointed in my prize.

Made plans for my return trip before I even left from this one!

Awesome fish. A peacock has been on my bucket list for a while. I've lived in south Florida my entire life and I've never seen one in person. It's only a 1 1/2 hour drive to Miami for me, and seeing pics like this is adding fuel to the flame. Soon.. very soon I'm going to have to go on a peacock hunt. Thank for sharing.

A very respectable Peacock indeed!!!Love these stories as well!

Great fish, those things fight like jacks. I also love how, as your story illustrates, they will repeatedly hit a fly/jig/plug of successive casts if you miss them. It's been years since i have fished down there for them but I do miss it. Easy fishing with plenty of shore access. If you want massive large mouths down there, try to get on a golf course

Thanks guys! Peacocks, as well as all the other crazy exotics in South Florida, are by FAR my favorite to throw a fly at. I head down several times a year and as luck would have it, I'm getting another shot at em again next week. I'll keep you all posted with a full trip report and great pics.

Love the colors on those Peacock Bass. I'll probably never get down there to fish for one, unless my company sends me.

Thanks for the picture.

Thanks guys! Peacocks, as well as all the other crazy exotics in South Florida, are by FAR my favorite to throw a fly at. I head down several times a year and as luck would have it, I'm getting another shot at em again next week. I'll keep you all posted with a full trip report and great pics.

I am particularly partial to them myself. What's not to love, HARD fighters, not picky, and lots of them.

Love the colors on those Peacock Bass. I'll probably never get down there to fish for one, unless my company sends me.

Thanks for the picture.

Why not? Seriously, when I lived in Melbourne I drove down fished and drove home. Makes for a long day but very much worth it. Fell well within my minimum of spending 1-2x longer fishing than driving rule.

Great catch!

I like the 2:1 fishing to driving rule.

Remember from that other thread that peacocks can be found in Palm Beach County. May not be such a long drive for some of you.

Great fish !

On storm/rain days I'd work canals - particularly where two canals meet or big culverts drain lakes into canals - anyplace with moving water...

Peacocks are WORTH the drive! From Central Fla, it takes me about 3 to 5 hours to get on em. I'll stick to the northern regions if I'm only getting down for a day but a multi-day trip is definitely the way to go. And YES, they are a great sport fish hard hitting and hard fighting!

great looking fish, can I get a good picture of the fly? it looks interesting.

Here's a link to the fly I took him on.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHGOTNgBmmU/?taken-by=backwaterfly

Thanks for the picture.

Why not? Seriously, when I lived in Melbourne I drove down fished and drove home. Makes for a long day but very much worth it. Fell well within my minimum of spending 1-2x longer fishing than driving rule.

Just can't do it. I've tried to drive the 1 hour to the coast to do a little salt water fishing ... I cross over the first piece of water I haven't fished yet ... slow down for a look, and decide, "What the hell, I'd rather be fishing than driving."

Seems like I can't get more than a few minutes from the house before I see a place to fish I haven't tried before.

There's no way I'd be able to get all the way to Southern Florida!