Fly Tying
flyty1

Father's day wish list

Hey all of you fly fishing fathers out there. Are there any gifts you would suggest for fly fishing dads? Many of your family members would love to pick up a nice gift for you - but they wander into a fly shop not knowing what you would like...let's hear some suggestions for your perplexed family!

Honestly I don't really like it when people try to buy me gifts related to my hobbies for the most part, fly tying, archery, disc golf, knife making, most things I don't already have and want are specific and expensive, even if they're not expensive they're still specific, and most of the time I just get nice gifts that I probably won't use. Food, nice beers, etc are preferred.

I'm not a father, (Thankfully) but I've got a few family members who've tried to buy gifts for me. They, almost always, buy something I don't need or don't want. Thanks for the thought, but no thanks on the gift.

Now, they just get me gift cards. They've all, finally, been educated to realize I can buy myself EXACTLY what I want and/or need. Even a $5.00 gift card is better than a $100.00 inappropriate gift.

A Visa (or other credit card) gift card is better than a store one, too. I might not need ANYTHING from a fishing supplies store, but the batteries on my cordless drill just died and I NEED one of those.

Etc. etc. etc.

Some people think it shows a lack of thought, or "care" ... a gift card vs. an actual gift. But the wrong gift just ISN'T a good gift, period.

I'm not a father, (Thankfully) but I've got a few family members who've tried to buy gifts for me. They, almost always, buy something I don't need or don't want. Thanks for the thought, but no thanks on the gift.

Now, they just get me gift cards. They've all, finally, been educated to realize I can buy myself EXACTLY what I want and/or need. Even a $5.00 gift card is better than a $100.00 inappropriate gift.

A Visa (or other credit card) gift card is better than a store one, too. I might not need ANYTHING from a fishing supplies store, but the batteries on my cordless drill just died and I NEED one of those.

Etc. etc. etc.

Some people think it shows a lack of thought, or "care" ... a gift card vs. an actual gift. But the wrong gift just ISN'T a good gift, period.

I agree Mike, gift cards never go to waste.

Unless they ask for a very specific item, a gift certificate from the fly shop is always welcome, If there is no local fly shop, one of the online ones is just as good.

I AM a father (Thankfully) and my oldest daughter (in Florida) usually orders something fishing related from a fly fishing supply on line store and has it sent to me here in Tennessee. She knows that all I fish for is trout so it is always something trout/fly fishing related. Last year it was a nice box of assorted colors of nymph pupae. The year before that it was a fishing hat I really like.

Joe

Like xvigauge, I have been blessed to be a father and grandfather. However, my wish list for Father's Day is a nice card and that's it. I prefer that no one buys me a gift because like already mentioned, it probably isn't something I could or would use, whether it be fishing related, tool related, or for any of my other hobbies. I even prefer no gift cards. If it is something I need or want then I probably have already bought and therefore don't need another one. For me, the best gift is to see my kids and grandkids become the best they can be, pursuing their own lives and dreams.

On Father's Day I just like it if my sons (now 17) consent to spend some time with me, maybe go out to breakfast with my wife and I. Sometimes I can get one of them to go fishing with me, which is about the best gift I could ask for.

Funny stuff Byron. Don't worry The life cycle of a father goes from constant companion to mere side show to trusted old friend who they can count on for anything. Cards have been replaced by text messages thou.