Fly Tying
Ed Gallop

What Is A "Professional" Fly Tier

Is there such a thing as a "Professional" Fly Tier? I really don't know. I think if fly tying is classified as a profession, and the tier earns an income doing it, then yes. However, a fly tier would have a much lower requirement level than a brain surgeon. I think if a person earns an income from a profession requiring education, training, and experience, then that person is a professional. Fly tying education may be self obtained book knowledge or individual instructions. No formal education or training is required so may not be considered a profession. It is extensive experience that develops well enough flies to earn an income. If tiers are good enough to earn an income then maybe they should be termed professionals. Who decides what is a profession? There are many different sources of opinions. I tied thousands of flies for several Alaskan fly shops and the shops labeled them "Professionally Tied in Alaska". Is that false advertising?

I taught law enforcement at Southern Illinois University in the 80s and early 90s after police retirement. I recall taking a graduate course where a professor claimed police officers were not professionals. He said there were several requirements to be a professional and police officers met all but one, "Autonomy". That meant no supervision or external control. I argued that he, a college professor, would not be a professional because he answers to someone, even if tenured. Although, a white collar criminal mastermind could be a professional. I can't think of any position, short of a governmental dictator, that would be autonomous. Well... I was when I sold flies but did not meet their formal academic requirement.

The simplest answer is often the definition.

Professional:

(of a person) engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime.

There are many pro's that didn't require a formal education but can be self taught. All sports for example, Just because someone sucks at it doesn't mean they are not a professional as long as they get paid. The word Professional is often misused as a word to describe someones ability.

I am with Joseph: if you make a living out of it, you are a pro.

It is understood that you are good at it, but it would not be the first time somebody is successful doing something they suck at: Steven Seagal and acting, for example.

As I understand it, the term "professional" requires a "profession". If there is a profession in fly tying, then anyone successfully making money in that profession is a professional. No training required, just success.

You can be the worst fly tie-er in the world, but if you're successfully selling said flies, you're a professional. (As long as there is a recognized profession of fly tying)

Now, the term "Expert" requires much more than success.

You can create a profession where there is none recognized. If you get paid (enough to make a living) to do something, you are a pro. Think about pro bass fishermen. Someone had to be the first.

I am with Joseph: if you make a living out of it, you are a pro.

It is understood that you are good at it, but it would not be the first time somebody is successful doing something they suck at: Steven Seagal and acting, for example.

Copper Coyote Howling ...69AFA058-E710-4F12-8D07-93E6C4DB22EC.JPG

This comes up on most boards I've belonged to from fishing to photography to wood working. And flytire is right, break out the popcorn.. it usually boils down to elitism/snob appeal vs dictionary definition and most any convoluted personal opinion in between. .

David, sorry but you had me scratching my head...

Whaddya mean?

Just a little mischievous humor on a cold day.

I thought it was the same as sports, e.g. amateur golfer vs professional golfer. Amateurs don't get paid, and pros do. The amateurs may put just as much time, education and effort, but don't get direct compensation. It's a pretty common use of the word professional. I know the practice has skewed out of whack in modern times, but the concept was pretty clear.

As applied to fly tying, pros sell their flies, amateurs don't.