Fly Tying
SilverCreek

Peacock Feathers

Beautiful. Kinda puts man made flash materials to shame. It always seemed to me that flies with peacock were especially good trout catchers.

And for any folks who've never lived or worked near peacocks (and the Pea hens that come with them...) -say a quiet prayer of thanks. They're the noisiest, most obnoxious birds around....

Cap't Bob, you obviously haven't lived where neighbors thought raising free range Guinea Fowl would be good protein for the winter. Dozen of them roaming the neighborhood and you might as well be in the rain forest.

Peacocks are so noisy and just plain obnoxious I woudn't blame anyone for doing a bit of exercise with a shotgun if they were in his neighborhood. I can put up with noisy parrots at my bird feeder and Muscovy ducks (think really large ducks that foul everything they walk or land on..) that also try to take over my bird feeder - but I wouldn't put up with peacocks for very long at all. Thank heavens there aren't any in my neighborhood at all.....

Living down here in south Florida we get daily reminders of the cost of exotics that become nuisances and worse.... Today I quit counting the number of iguanas by local storm drainage canals as I drove by on my way to picking up a few trailer tires. At least the iguanas (we have thousands and thousands of them - they're everywhere....) are vegetarians. Of course if they keep eating the flowers around your house they're not very welcome. I won't even mention pythons who will be seen much more in suburban housing areas around Miami and Ft. Lauderdale after they've eaten through all the native small game ..... The pythons, by the way, are well on their way to permanently changing the wildlife population in the Everglades... wish it weren't so....

Cap't Bob, you obviously haven't lived where neighbors thought raising free range Guinea Fowl would be good protein for the winter. Dozen of them roaming the neighborhood and you might as well be in the rain forest.

I live where someone had a flock of free-range guineas. Not for food, just a lot of people in the South raise guineas for insect control, which they're good at. Plus, they're good watch animals.

A neighbor objected to them because they ate a single row of spinach. The neighbor wanted the guineas caught, where they could no longer roam; so she sued the nominal owner. Because they roamed the small town freely and became wild town pets, the judge said they were the joint property of Watkinsville and forbade their removal. They're no longer around, though. I guess traffic eventually took them out.