Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hanapaa808

Pedestal Base or C-Clamp....That is the question

Hello All,

This forum is great and helpful. I have to thank you ahead of time for the answers. I've already found a couple of great sources for tungsten beads for midges that are alot less then the local flyfishing store.

What do you recommend and why? Pedestal or C-clamp base for your vise.

I would think pedestal is better even when traveling because you can put it anywhere on a flat top. But then again I'm the beginner and you're the experts.

Thanks,

Tony

l've always preferred pedestal because I don't like the vice at the edge of the table. And it's a little quicker to move around.

Tony,

I'm no expert, only been tying for a couple years. My preference is a pedestal base. Reason being their easier in my opinin to move and you don't need to find a place to secure the c clamp. Second reason the girlfriend almost killed me when she came home from work one day and i had my vise clamped to her beloved table. I made a pretty crude pedestal base in the machine shop I used to work in that I still use on occasion when I move away from my crude but effective tying bench. Best of luck in your future fishing adventures.

Josh

I prefer pedestal bases. I covered the bottoms of my bases with foam so they neither mar furniture nor skid when I am really reefing on kevlar ties. If I want to change the viewing aspect of a fly , I just nudge the base into the new position rather than having to unscrew a clamp and tighten it back up. I found out the hard way that a screw clamp can destroy the finish on good furniture. Mostly, I guess I like pedestals because I am used to them. I have used pedestals for about 40 years.

My 2 cents.

Recommend you use the search function to review past threads. Frequent topic, but you have already answered the question. If you travel or move your vise much, the pedestal is better.

Having said that, let the usual ravings begin...

I make my own pedestal using wood and a metal polygonal bar with a hole for the vice rod in one end and a threaded large screw in the other. ( The latter used to be a staple at fly shops but have not seen one in dog's years.)

I like a deep long base which I cover with a magnetized plastic sheet that holds hooks etc down.

I also make it more portable for moving around by cutting it in half depth wise and joining the halves with a piano hinge the right size. Folds up into a manageable size and has a quick take down benefit.

Rocco

In my opinion pedestal vises are better for traveling.

I was perfectly satisfied with my C-clamp vise when traveling until I tied at an event where the edge of all the tables provided were too deep for the C-clamp of my vise to be secure.

Somehow I have managed to get along for decades with just C clamp vises. I have to say a couple of times it was challenging to set up the vise in certain cabins in my travels but I always manged to. When I bought a new vise my concern was more about the packing and travel than the destination though, I always figured I could get it set up some where some how but it didn't do me much good if it was never packed. In which case a C clamp vise is always in my tying case and the tying case is always the very first item packed into the vehicle for travel.. No matter where I have stayed there is a table, an end table, a coffee table, a lamp stand with shelf to set a c clamp vise up on. I'm not into production tying when away but sometimes you run into a hatch or other situation where you need to whip up half a dozen flies. No big deal if the setup isn't perfection as long as I can get the flies tied. It's not like I'm going to tie a years supply while there.

Neither are better or worse, they're just different.

I have both, use both, like both.

That being said, I do have a bit more freedom than some in my setup. I was able to cut a slot in my tabletop surface specifically where I wanted it for mounting my clamp (and conveniently adding a built-in waste receptacle), and when I'm using my pedestal vise, I just swing the clamp arm away and put the pedestal right over the slot.

With my vise mounted, I then get a small brown paper bag and tape it into the slot, and whenever I have scraps, I just drop them while I'm tying and they go right into the bag. When it gets full, I cut the bag free and throw it away, then tape a new one in its place.

Pedestal is more mobile, C-clamp is more stable. Other than that, it's mostly subjective preference.

I've never used my pedestal base at home. I have a bench/table for tying, so the clamp stays right were I put it and hasn't been moved for a long time. No need for mobility there. I like the adjustable height allowed with a clamp.

I travel for work, and often take tying stuff with me. The pedestal base is a must, as most hotel desks I've encountered don't have enough edge to clamp to. Plus, in some of the areas I go, there are local tying clubs or shops and I'll go to their tying events. A pedestal makes it easy to pick up and go.

I had to cut 3 inches off my stem to fit into the base at the right level for me.

Whatever you want. I have used a clamp-on El Cheapo vise for over 20 years and have no problems with it. I don't tie a lot of patterns- 6 or 8 at the most. I might have mentioned earlier- a friend puts his on a board and clamps the board to the steering wheel of his car to tie whatever is hatching or flying at that moment.