Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

9th Annual Opening Day Swap

trout flies only

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#16 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:07 PM

OK we are down to one spot left. 

“The thing about fishing is that it gives a man hope.  Each cast builds a little hope and if he can lose himself to that hope, then the worries and the heartache fade into the background.  The wind inside him dies down for a while”

The Royal Wulff Murders, by Keith McCafferty

Fishing Bob

#17 rockworm

rockworm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:42 PM

I'm in if there is still room

#18 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 03:05 AM

OK that's 12.  I will PM my address when you are ready.  Thanks to all for joining, looking forward to seeing what this year's selection will contain.

“The thing about fishing is that it gives a man hope.  Each cast builds a little hope and if he can lose himself to that hope, then the worries and the heartache fade into the background.  The wind inside him dies down for a while”

Fishing Bob

#19 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:04 PM

Bob, was I not supposed to name my pick (adams)? If that's the case I can pick something else and keep it to myself, just let me know.
cb27

#20 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:23 PM

I will post the Adams, if that is what you are going to tie.

Fishing Bob

#21 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:06 PM

Adams it is!

cb27

#22 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:50 AM

I think I will do something like this H&L variant varient, para post and light ginger hackle size 16.

Attached Thumbnails

• PSX_20180308_214742.jpg

#23 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,753 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:59 PM

That vicente, is definitely a variably variable. I like the H&L but tie it with the more common calf tail but I generally use Cree hackle since I have such a fantastic cape to work with. Sadly, it is getting picked through pretty hard so may need to go to barred ginger or something like that in future.

Bob, I'm about half way through a run of Perdigons. Per the advice of Planet Trout I am using a blue theme. Silver bead, Coq de Leon tail, blue flash body with fine silver holographic tinsel ribbing. Orange hot spot and wife's Navy Blue nail polish wing bud topped off with a coat of UV. Just doesn't have that flare of a lot of other nymphs out there but is designed to get down quick and work deep with a tight line. I figure a pair of them on for Czech nymphing should find some of the those trout looking down for their next meal.

#24 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:51 AM

yes nick I tied the traditional version for BB's "worst nightmare" swap I figured I would try them with para post instead of the calf hair I will probably go with a dark hackle on these but felt like seeing what a lighter colored one would look like.  

#25 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,188 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:13 AM

flies are done. ill send them out this week

yBNGvnx.jpg

Fly tying - The art of attaching feathers, fur, wool, and silk to a tiny hook to create artificial lures that imitate insects, a skill easily mastered by anyone who can peel a grape blindfolded with a pair of tweezers and a butter knife while wearing oven mitts.

#26 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:12 PM

Flytire, Beautiful looking flies, do they have a name?  

Fishing Bob

#27 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,188 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:43 PM

ralph, tommy, larry, colin.......

oh wrong names

trigger baetis

Fly tying - The art of attaching feathers, fur, wool, and silk to a tiny hook to create artificial lures that imitate insects, a skill easily mastered by anyone who can peel a grape blindfolded with a pair of tweezers and a butter knife while wearing oven mitts.

#28 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:58 PM

Great looking bug ft
cb27

#29 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,188 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:26 AM

giphy.gif

#30 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,753 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:42 AM

So this is my first attempt at a run of Perdigon flies. Like said above, Coq de Leon tail, Blue Flash shell, Silver Holo tinsel rib, Orange hotspot, Navy Blue wingcase, UV coated. Not quite the right hook but they should do the job getting down quick or as an anchor fly.

DSCF3111 (2).JPG  DSCF3112 (2).JPG  DSCF3114 (2).JPG

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trout flies only