Fly Tying
robow7

Small jig type fly hooks

Just curious how others might make use of these small jig hooks, any patterns in particular that you like tying specifically with this design and what advantages do you see, assuming the hook rides up? better hook ups, less hang ups?

As always, thanks for your input.

6794.Jpg

I just don't see the point of them. The threads I learned to tie with were not the superfine ones we use today. Pearsall's was fine by comparison. If you used too many wraps you would quickly fill up the gap of the hook. Now we have much finer threads someone launches a hook pattern to do the same. Yes they fish upside down; as does any down eye hook if you tie it on with a turle knot, first tasking the line through the eye from the wrong side. To me paying for extra hooks to achieve something, which you can do with hooks you have, is a waste of money. These hooks are usually made with quite fine wire. Yet they are intended for fishing deep. If you use a heavy hook you don't need to put so much weight on them to produce a fly of similar sink rate. Using a stronger hook gives you the advantage of playing a fish on a stronger hook.

Therefore, I must ask what is the point of these hooks? I only see disadvantages to them . However they are fashionable..Yes I tie on them, but only for customers who insist on them. None find their way into my fly boxes. Until I see they give me something more than I can get from hooks I have a plentiful supply of I will not be buying any for myself.

Cheers,

C.

Yup, I have less snags when tight line nymphing and my hookup percentage appears at least to me to be greater using the jig hooks. Especially when using them as my point fly.

You can tie any nymph pattern on them if you want, but I stick to the standard "tie in the round" patterns such as the Frenchie and other Czech style jig nymphs.

tungsten-pheasant-tail-hot-spot-jig-nymp

With regards to the JS2 jig hook that you show, I recently wrote a review that has not been posted on the JS site. I had high hopes when I heard that JS was going to carry a jig hook in its new JS2 hook line. However after receiving my order I was a little disappointed as these were my observations.

The hook is at least a 1x or close to a 2x hook length when compared to other nymph jig hooks and the hook sizes run 1-1 1/2 times larger than standard nymph jig hooks.

For a jig hook at the same price point as the JS2, I would prefer the Allen J100BL.

or with a fly of higher dynamic center of gravity.

and then when you tie it on a heavier tippet, or fish it in differing currents and depths- drastically changing the load applied to the fly by the leader (even in "dead drift"), or your leader has 2.5 more turns of twist than it did on your previous cast which causes your fly to drift off-axis, or any of a billion or more variables come into play, that all gets blown to hell.

Buy, tie on, and fish with whatever hooks make you happy- but don't fool yourself with minutiae compared to real world circumstances.

As others have said, for tightline nymphing. With a slotted bead, they ride point up and get snagged considerably less that conventional nymphs.

or with a fly of higher dynamic center of gravity.

and then when you tie it on a heavier tippet, or fish it in differing currents and depths- drastically changing the load applied to the fly by the leader (even in "dead drift"), or your leader has 2.5 more turns of twist than it did on your previous cast which causes your fly to drift off-axis, or any of a billion or more variables come into play, that all gets blown to hell.

Buy, tie on, and fish with whatever hooks make you happy- but don't fool yourself with minutiae compared to real world circumstances.

Lol, the thing about tightline nymphing is you are dealing with these circumstances. One diameter of tippet, one water seam, etc.

"Yup, I have less snags when tight line nymphing and my hookup percentage

appears at least to me to be greater using the jig hooks...."

I've had similar results as FIN-ITE 34.

The 'snags' tend to come free with a good pull.

I especially like the barbless Hends brand.

Horribly sharp point.

Very easy on the trouts, just back the hook out with a hemo and they're off.

No experience with the JS2's though.

Although with another brand, I had good luck with black stones tied on this type of hook. But I read on another blog that jig hooks because of the hook riding up, usually the hook point is driven through the roof of a trouts mouth where a main artery is located causing the fish to bleed to death. Has anyone heard about this or know if its true? I did not have this happen to fish I caught with this hook but it did end up in the top lip often.

A top jaw hookup is where you want to hook a trout, and that is where next near to all my hooks wind up with the jig hook. When you stick a trout in that hard upper mouth area they are usually on there to stay, even using barbless or pinched barb hooks as I do on all my flies. I mostly tie sizes 12-18 in jig hooks, so there is very little deep penetration of hooks with those sizes, so your concern, true or not, is non-issue.

And I tie those jig hook flies, or for that matter standard tackle jigs, with a loop so they can swing free. I am a firm believer in the Uni or Duncan knot and when drawn up tight to leave a loop between knot and eye I've yet to have one slip back down. I do also use this if I want a tight knot also, just slide it down to hook eye or swivel to tighten against it.

I get my hooks here http://www.allenflyfishing.com/j100bl-jig-nymph-barbless-thin-wire-hook/ and have been very happy with them. They don't pull straight but will break on a snag so they're not soft and if you buy 4 packs you get a nice discount on them.

But I read on another blog that jig hooks because of the hook riding up, usually the hook point is driven through the roof of a trouts mouth where a main artery is located causing the fish to bleed to death.

they can't put anything on the internet that isn't true.

He's a French model.

I use jig hooks for chasing mini species from sea but for fly fishing I have not found a great benefit to them.

I tied these just for the fun of it while I had a bunch of jig hooks laying around. All but the pheasant tails in there are jig heads with either tungsten or brass beads.

DSC01604_zpsj5wcfjan.jpg

DSC01607_zpsz1pcedgy.jpg

DSC01606_zpsbiqmov3z.jpg