Fly Tying
Buffalo Bob

Freshwater poppers for bass

19 hours ago, robow7 said:

Is it possible to take multiple 1" x 1" squares of 2mm sheet foam, glue them together to make a cube and then drive a 9 mm casing through them ?  I've never tried this and wondered if the casing is sharp enough to do multiple layers at once.  If so, you could come up with some really neat striped color scheme poppers.

The best glue I've found for this is contact cement.  Spread it thin on each piece, let it sit for 15 seconds or so and put the pieces together.  CAVEAT: the pieces will bond almost instantly so line them up well before pressing together.  Use a wide flat surface (my wife hates it when I use her cutting boards) and press against a hard surface to seal the deal.

You can even buy sheet foam in different thicknesses for different patterns.

Got some of the smaller double barrel popper bodies in a swap here. Added a streamer hook,  Marabou tail, black rubber legs, and a hackle, colored the body with sharpie and super glued the eyes.

20220314_102339.jpg

20220314_102331.jpg

20220314_102317.jpg

Those are very well done flytire. 

Does anyone remember the gentleman who took popper painting to the next level as works of art?  He used to post on this forum but can't remember what username he went by.

9 hours ago, robow7 said:

Does anyone remember the gentleman who took popper painting to the next level as works of art?  He used to post on this forum but can't remember what username he went by.

You might be thinking of Stippled Popper

On 3/5/2022 at 2:27 PM, Buffalo Bob said:

Looking for any suggestions, help, information for tying poppers. Any suggestions re: sourcing components, hook sizes / types, bodies, do's / don'ts, etc. will be appreciated.

Primarily will be fishing farm ponds, small rivers and creeks.

Thanking responders in advance.

Be prepared for anything. The old Tennessee state record of about 15 lb. was caught out of a small stream in central Tennessee. Good fishing and we would like to see some photos of your success.

On 3/5/2022 at 1:27 PM, Buffalo Bob said:

Looking for any suggestions, help, information for tying poppers. Any suggestions re: sourcing components, hook sizes / types, bodies, do's / don'ts, etc. will be appreciated.

Primarily will be fishing farm ponds, small rivers and creeks.

Thanking responders in advance.

If you are a person that enjoys doing things for yourself, I suggest a pair of flip flops cutting your own poppers or buying corks and making your own poppers. You may

even drink wine, if so save some of your corks and shape them to your liking! Since they are yours enjoy painting them in your favorite colors. I favorite is chartreuse, red, pink and orange or brown! Just enjoy what you are doing! If you can't nearly every tying components purveyor has poppers ready made! Tying is fun, relaxing, you can do it at any age, example, I'm 75. I have to use lighted magnifying glasses! Many tight lines!