Fly Tying
helenjmoore

Fish anywhere in the world

i would just like to be able to stand long enough in any stream or river without my legs going completely numb

where is irrelevant

Welcome to the site Helen!

I would say either the chalk streams of England or the rivers of Scotland because of the fly fishing history associated with those areas.

As others have said I'm not much of a destination angler.  I know anglers who love "adventure fishing" - getting on a plane and going to some other part of the world, hiring a guide and fishing.  I understand it but I've never felt the need.  I suppose it's all about how a person defines great fishing?

I truly love small stream fly fishing for wild trout here in New England. I love the challenge of reading flowing water then quietly and hopefully undetected moving to a spot,  where I at least have a chance of making a cast between or under the overhangs to give the fly that I tied a shot.  If I get it right my reward just might be the privilege of getting to hold a Massachusetts wild jewel for a few moments before sending him on his way and for me that's great fishing. 

IMG_3035.thumb.JPG.1b02fd05fc27b1a6dbee2ecf8f6f4220.JPG

IMG_E2605.thumb.JPG.a6c488db459a5127545113b8aefe5201.JPG 

QUINAPOXET_4.thumb.JPG.aea40dae949f83c8aafe734cc4189bcb.JPG

QUINAPOXET_1.thumb.JPG.d3b71d57ac636d7b5fbcd3595866fae0.JPG

IMG_0865.thumb.JPG.c0d33a2a38eacbbf88ad5b2cbe6fe3c1.JPG

I've decided to expand on my earlier post about this subject...and do a little bragging at the same time

Over my 59 years with a fly rod in hand I've taken Atlantic Salmon in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Quebec...Stripers in the back bays of New Jersey near Stone Harbor & Avalon...Redfish in North Carolina...Bonefish, Tarpon, and other species in Belize and the Bahamas...trout in Montana, Wyoming, Quebec, New York, as well as the Rivers Test & Itchen in England...and my home state of Pennsylvania of course.

I've had the pleasure of fishing alongside Vince Marinaro on Letort Spring Run...many, many days with casting guru & legendary casting teacher my long time friend Ed Jaworoski…not to mention a long list of other friends and acquaintances. It has been a great run.

This past December I was diagnosed with Leg Amyotrophic Diplegia putting an end to my time on the stream. Reflecting on that tells me I would like to spend any time any place doing a little time casting to rising trout, Atlantic Salmon resting in a crystal clear Gaspe river, bonefish cruising the flats and/or for stripers hiding in the grass of the shallow back bays of New Jersey.

But...I will continue to fish vicariously with my tying, reading and spending time with the folks on sites like this one. Enjoy it wherever and whenever you can guys, you never know what tomorrow will bring.

DFoster, great photos! What camera, settings, etc.? We have the Appalachian strain brook trout here in the Southeast. Native range is Western Virginia to NE Georgia.

Gotta go along with skeet3t on this one. I'm curious about the camera info as well. Also...how much editing involved?
George

3 hours ago, DFoster said:

Welcome to the site Helen!

I would say either the chalk streams of England or the rivers of Scotland because of the fly fishing history associated with those areas.

As others have said I'm not much of a destination angler.  I know anglers who love "adventure fishing" - getting on a plane and going to some other part of the world, hiring a guide and fishing.  I understand it but I've never felt the need.  I suppose it's all about how a person defines great fishing?

I truly love small stream fly fishing for wild trout here in New England. I love the challenge of reading flowing water then quietly and hopefully undetected moving to a spot,  where I at least have a chance of making a cast between or under the overhangs to give the fly that I tied a shot.  If I get it right my reward just might be the privilege of getting to hold a Massachusetts wild jewel for a few moments before sending him on his way and for me that's great fishing. 

IMG_3035.thumb.JPG.1b02fd05fc27b1a6dbee2ecf8f6f4220.JPG

IMG_E2605.thumb.JPG.a6c488db459a5127545113b8aefe5201.JPG 

QUINAPOXET_4.thumb.JPG.aea40dae949f83c8aafe734cc4189bcb.JPG

QUINAPOXET_1.thumb.JPG.d3b71d57ac636d7b5fbcd3595866fae0.JPG

IMG_0865.thumb.JPG.c0d33a2a38eacbbf88ad5b2cbe6fe3c1.JPG

Dean...That trout reminds me of my first trout oh so long ago taken in the headwaters of the Allegheny River in Potter County Pennsylvania. The "river" at this point was almost narrow enough to jump across in a few areas - George

17 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

DFoster, great photos! What camera, settings, etc.? We have the Appalachian strain brook trout here in the Southeast. Native range is Western Virginia to NE Georgia.

Thanks Skeet-The photos we're all taken with my IPhone 6 with just standard settings, so nothing special.  I was in Asheville NC a few years ago and the Blue Ridge mountains reminded me very much of the Green mountains in Vermont and to a lesser degree the Berkshires in Western Mass.

Yes you do have Brook Trout and they are gorgeous! I follow a youtuber named Derek who fly fishes the SE.  He's often in the Smokies and like me he generally avoids the larger stocked rivers in favor of wild fish.  Mostly he's on the small tribs.  His blue line techniques are very much a mirror of the kind of fishing.  Even the water he fishes looks really familiar.  

9 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

Gotta go along with skeet3t on this one. I'm curious about the camera info as well. Also...how much editing involved?
George

Honestly George- I'm not a photographer.  Those pics were taken with my IPhone factory settings - no editing.  The water shots we're taken about an hour after sun up so that's the reason for the lighting.  The Brookies around here (and I believe in PA as well) really turn their colors up a notch in the fall.  I still remember the first one I ever caught.  It was in the Autumn and I couldn't believe a fish with that type of coloring actually swam in our streams.  I thought maybe he'd gotten lost off a coral reef somewhere? 😜

Just a follow-up to my post where I mentioned I'd like to go back to Guam and give fly fishing another shot now that I sort of know what I'm doing.  Can't tell you exactly where, but it was on the Philippine Sea side and twenty years ago.  I still have and use the rod in the picture.  A Cabela's 4 piece  8 wgt travel rod.

635801729_JerryonGuam.thumb.jpg.d990d67d7c30c58e9c8255bf87d011fe.jpg

The more I think about the question, the more I believe, for me, it doesn't matter what location I'm in, as long as it contains the natural beauty I've come to expect when doing the type of fishing I enjoy most, and it seems that along the spine of the mid Atlantic seaboard is about perfect for that. 

With that said, the one or two times a year I leave my usually stomping grounds and drive 4-5 hours for a fishing trip, I always think to myself: If I stop now at that dirt pull-out,  I could already have 3-4 hours of fishing under my belt by the time I'm checking into my destination cabin or campground.  It's always a tough decision.    

Course, then I'd miss all the fun of watching my youngest brother fall in, and he rarely disappoints.          

Nice stream there, @DFoster

I've had a bad case of wanderlust most of my life. A lot of my travels were deployments, not fishing trips per say, but if chance presented itself, I would fish. After retirement I still have the desire to keep exploring, now mostly locally or North America my collection of DeLorme map books cover most of the east. As a kid I was exposed to the Canadian Maritimes by my Pepere  (Grandfather) my favorite river is the Cheticamp in Nova Scotia it is a small river, but it is where I landed my first Salmon while camping with him. I am happy fishing for any fish, fresh water, salt water, lakes, ponds, rivers, or brooks and seem to lose all sense of time or meaning while fishing, one time to the point of missing the ferry leaving Newfoundland due to fishing while waiting for the ferry (took my wife a long while to forget that one, and had to call my boss telling him I would be late returning to work) If I had the opportunity I would like to fish for Artic Char in Ungava or the Northwest Territories. It is remote and I seem to be drawn to solitude, higher latitudes, & northern lights- except during the winter.

I'll keep making the 2  hr. drive every week or so to Penns Creek or the Little J.Been all over the Eastern U.S. flyfishing but theirs no place like home.

Being a Western guy who has read all the great books on Fly fishing & about all the great ones from the past. I have always been wondered about fishing the Catskills. Been thinking about making a trip out there - flying into Albany or? and visit some of the storied places. When would be a good time to go and where would you go. Is it worthwhile to fish and better left as a memory or is it a tourist mob scene w/ planted fish dumped off a bridge from a tank truck? I honestly don't know anything about the area except what was written 50-75 years ago. Any thoughts? Thanks

On 5/28/2022 at 7:45 PM, blackfoots said:

Being a Western guy who has read all the great books on Fly fishing & about all the great ones from the past. I have always been wondered about fishing the Catskills. Been thinking about making a trip out there - flying into Albany or? and visit some of the storied places. When would be a good time to go and where would you go. Is it worthwhile to fish and better left as a memory or is it a tourist mob scene w/ planted fish dumped off a bridge from a tank truck? I honestly don't know anything about the area except what was written 50-75 years ago. Any thoughts? Thanks

It depends on what your looking for out of the trip.  If you want stellar fishing there are better area's in the country.   I live in Massachusetts I have been to the Catskills but I have never fished the area. I'm told by the local fly shop guides that have fished the storied places that they can be busy.  Even so they recommend going because it's the fly fishing equivalent of getting to take a swing at Fenway Park or Wrigley Field.  You'll be fishing on hallowed ground even if you have company with you.   If you're used to having miles of river to yourself they told me there are many tributaries with small wild trout to be sought out.  You also have the Fly Fishing hall of fame and museum and a lot of fly shops all nestled in the beautiful catskills- what's not to like?

https://cffcm.com/facilities-grounds