Fly Tying

I picked this 9', 3/2 Bean's Double L bamboo rod up for a song ($35) a while back in the  local market place, and had it re-done by a local rod-maker, who finished it up sometime ago, but I wasn't able to pick it up until this week.

IMG-20220514-154654-01.jpg

IMG-20220514-154724.jpg

IMG-20220514-154755-01.jpg

IMG-20220514-154821-01.jpg

Very pleased with it. Finish could be smoother, as you can see in the photos.  New grip (original was too small for me), spacer, reel seat, snake guides, and agate stripper.  I asked him to replicate the original wrap colors as close as possible.  I should have been more specific.  I thought the original was black with gold tipping, he thought the gold was faded orange, so he used orange. I actually like the orange and black, like a spawning brookie. Ferrules are original.  Maybe a 6 wt, maybe a 7, probably both.  We'll see how she does with a few different lines later this evening on the lake. Woo-hoo!

@tferg, Thanks.  She did well.  

I had forgotten I had unspooled my 6 wt line, so I only had a 5 and 7 wt lines reeled up.  She cast better with a 5 than a 7, looking forward to trying a 6, maybe tomorrow, time permitting.

Took me a while to find the the right fly, not sure of the pattern, I'll have to look it up Jack Schweigert's Doodlebug, I subbed woodchuck tail for the wing, original called for woodchuck guard hairs.

I think it was one @flytire posted a while back. It sure got their attention fished wet. 

IMG-20220514-194121.jpg

When they finally became agreeable, I lost the first half dozen or so on the hookset, then I found the groove. 

A few crappie, sunfish, and LM bass, the best one of the bunch:

IMG-20220514-194001.jpg

Edited by niveker
Edit to show pattern

Thanks DF.  I think I'm going to enjoy fishing it.  Next one I'm going to try to do myself.    

On 5/15/2022 at 9:15 PM, Steeldrifter said:

Looks good. A medalist reel always looks right at home on a cane rod 😎

I agree. I have one that is about 60 years old. My bamboo rod was bought the same time for $10 at the Big K store in Forest Park, GA. Our own Chris Carlin helped me with the rebuild.

16 hours ago, skeet3t said:

I have one that is about 60 years old

I have 8 or 9 of them, I have a barely controlled addiction to them

I've got several Medalists and have them hung on Shakespeare Wonder-Rods. Went on a trip last spring to Eastern NC and fished those combos exclusively. Had a ball! We caught tons of big Bream