Fly Tying
vicrider

Snow in Oklahoma and Texas

Copied from my post in Swaps.

Right now I'm sitting at the computer looking out at my porch rail and there's a good 4" of snow on it. Everything is cheery and white out there right now instead of brown as it has been from the usual fall drought. It is a sticky, heavy wet snow with giant flakes earlier and has had power kicking on and off from weight of snow as it breaks branches and pulls lines but never more than a few minutes so far. Very early for accumulating snow here in OK but I'm sure we'll just be brown again by Christmas. Up north this would be the base for the season but here it's just an oddity to enjoy, except for all the fender benders that will going on all over the roads. Us retirees just stay home and enjoy looking out at it.

2 minutes ago, vicrider said:

here's a good 4" of snow

This kind of talk should be banned, along with politics and religion.  

It’s not allowed to snow at my house until every leaf has fallen from the trees and is raked up, bagged and carted away by the trash. After that a good snow storm is welcomed and enjoyed by all till about February when it starts to get old. 

53 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

It’s not allowed to snow at my house until every leaf has fallen from the trees and is raked up, bagged and carted away by the trash.

LOL - there are so many oak trees around my yard and neighborhood, I'll still be picking up this years leaves next April.  

2 hours ago, niveker said:

many oak trees

niveker did your oaks have a acorn shortage this year? going to be a long winter for the wildlife in CT no acorns this year to speak of.

@cphubert, funny you mentioned that.  I was just talking on the phone to my son saying how there are a lot fewer than most years.  The drought must have stressed them out.  

bears have been raiding more than normal, CT environmental officials are blame the acorn crop failure. expecting the first snow tonight, very light 2" or less.

34 minutes ago, cphubert said:

Anyone ever snowshoe with waders on? 

In the Sierras. I miss it 

I know the fact that it's kind of unusual around here to still have snow on the ground but watching what's going on for lake effect snow in the northeast is unreal. When I lived in northern MN we had 36" in 24 hours once but it was a fluffy snow, not the wet heavy stuff they're having that takes down branches, power lines, and caves in roofs if not cleaned. It's easy to say they're used to this but this is record breaking stuff it will take weeks to normalize things again. For those in the middle of the mess you have my sympathy. I've lived with big snows for much of my life but nothing to compare to what you're going through right now.