Fly Tying
Gene L

Cheap hooks

How cheap?  Try well, 3.5 cents a hook.  Barbless.  I got four packs of 100 each for $3.52, size 12 and 14.  Plus $4.40 shipping.  If you only buy 100, the price is $3.90, but me and my fishing buddy ordered 400 hooks in different styles and the price goes down and...the shipping is the same.  They seem sharp enough and don't bend any more readily than a Mustad.  i checked the bend in a vise.  I'm pretty sure they're Chinese, from Maxcatch.  I have one of their vises for a travel vise and it's a good one.  

Good to know Gene, which vise did you buy from them if you don't mind my asking?

The cheap one, don't know it's name. "Rotary Vise" although it's not a true rotary.  For $47, a great vise.  Weighs 10 ounces.  Got a great clamp, too.  I've got too many vises.

Good to know re: quality of the Maxcatch hooks. I've been on the lookout for another supplier of decent quality inexpensive hooks since Wholesale Fly Company announced they were going out of business. Thanks for sharing. :)

+1 on the Maxcatch. 

The Eupheng brand hooks are good also, a buck or so more than the Maxcatch, though limited in style.  Find them on the 'Bay. 

i'm tying on the mustad heritage hooks and will do so in the future. a little more expensive but so be it

Aren't all hooks cheap really? I know some are cheaper, but I'm pretty sure hooks are the cheapest things I buy for flies.

On the lighter side, I have too many vises too, what with the drinking, swearing and womanizing, I think I'll have too cut back. 😁 For what reason, I'm not sure.

I trash a lot of attempts at fly tying so I need all the breaks I can get.  Maxcatch also has fly lines for about $8 or $9.  My fishing buddy bought two and we lawn cast them Thursday.  They seemed fine, a loop on each end.  Orange and yellow lines, and 100 ft. long.  I'm line poor, but if I needed one, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

The cheapest hooks I found before these were $4.95 for 50.  That's more than I am comfortable with when I can get just as good hooks for $3.90 for 100.  I need to save where I can.  

As my Uncle says, the cost of various fly tying material, as in most things, is relative.

And so it follows that marketing and price are not always the equivalent of quality.

Seldom am I, nor the fish I catch,  bothered by cheap hooks, cheap booze, or cheap women.  Most times I rather prefer them that way.   

Swearing, however, is always cheap, but it has its place.  As does having too many vices.  

I have several Maxcatch products...rods, reels, lines (skagit head and WF), polyleaders, braided loops...never had an issue with any of 'em...maybe the drags on the reels but I only occasionally catch anything big enough to use the drag but they have held up to a couple salmon and steelies....check out Tigofly (on Aliexpress, Amazon, or the Bay) for tying materials, I have some dubbing (synthetic), goat, and arctic fox tail rings from them that cost about 90% less than what you'd buy at the shop...I love to shop local/stateside but I'd have to give up the hobby without these cheaper materials and equipment...I wondered about Eupheng hooks, good to know

Cheers!

A little aggravation goes a long way for me cuz I'm old and crotchety. One miss-bent hook in a hundred and it can ruin my whole day. That's another 3.95 cents I'll never get back.

Everyone needs to do what makes them happy. I'm glad there are cheaper hooks even if I like the ones that cost 5 cents each.

If I could have found hooks for a nickel each, I wouldn't have to low-ball it for three-point five.  I'm not a cheap person, but I like saving money on essentials.  Also, I've occasionally run up with problems (very rarely) on more expensive hooks and will probably run in to occasional problems using Maxcatch,  One thing I've found out is past a certain point, higher cost is not an immunization from problems. 

55 minutes ago, Gene L said:

If I could have found hooks for a nickel each, I wouldn't have to low-ball it for three-point five.  I'm not a cheap person, but I like saving money on essentials.  Also, I've occasionally run up with problems (very rarely) on more expensive hooks and will probably run in to occasional problems using Maxcatch,  One thing I've found out is past a certain point, higher cost is not an immunization from problems. 

Agreed.  Fly tying is a labor intensive activity. The materials cost per fly should be negligible, but it’s not.  Hooks are one of the biggest factors in the materials cost of a fly.  At 25 to 50 cents a hook for name brand hooks, that is just too much.