Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

Getting ready for Lake Havasu

20230705_161951.jpg

The latest version of my Lake Havasu Crayfish. It's an orange and green swamp crayfish. Everybody loves them in Havasu.

20230705_194656.jpg

Close-up of the crayfish. I wasn't completely happy with the versions I found on the internet, so I came up with this one.

20230719_192932.jpg

My latest version of a fresh water snail. It's made with all the regular components. The shell is a two stage extended dubbing body. The snail itself is dubbing and the antennae are chenille.

20230716_172454.jpg

The first stage of the shell. It was formed using extended body techniques on a needle, then re-positioned on the needle with a mono core for the second stage.

20230716_170635.jpg

Then wrapped around in spiral fashion.

20230719_181121.jpg

An assortment of "shells" are made first.

20230719_181108.jpg

The the snails are made in many colors and sizes.

20230720_100348.jpg

Latest version of quagga mussels also in many colors and sizes.

20230720_095039.jpg

The boxes with San Juan worms, simpler snails, sculpins, flying bugs and terrestrials

20230720_095110.jpg

Streamers and gurglers.

20230720_095208.jpg

Grubs, woolly buggers, woolly worms and other assorted wet flies.

20230720_100556.jpg

Crayfish, new version snails and Quagga mussels. Next, carp eggs and more streamers. I'm headed to Sitka for a week, talk to you all later.

20230720_095136.jpg

Everything looks great but I’m really impressed with the snails. Great ingenuity on the snail construction. Them record book bluegill don’t stand a chance. 

6 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Everything looks great but I’m really impressed with the snails. Great ingenuity on the snail construction. Them record book bluegill don’t stand a chance. 

Well, I worked on that snail pattern for quite a while before I figured out what I wanted to do. I'm planning on at least two months at Havasu in the spring and hopefully up to three. I gotta put in for the time with the warden. Either way, it seems like more fun than a kid should be allowed to have.

3 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Nice! 

16 minutes ago, niveker said:

Wow, thats impressive Mark

Thanks to you all.

Always been on my wish list.Chasing shellcrackers with well,shells makes sense.I guy i used to talk to on a different forum was a jig tyer.He fished many So Cal lakes as wellas Havasu.This guy owned the sunfish.Havasu seems to have every thing i like to fish for.Maybe some day.Looking forward to your pics of those flies in their mouths Mark.

2 hours ago, jcozzz said:

Always been on my wish list.Chasing shellcrackers with well,shells makes sense.I guy i used to talk to on a different forum was a jig tyer.He fished many So Cal lakes as wellas Havasu.This guy owned the sunfish.Havasu seems to have every thing i like to fish for.Maybe some day.Looking forward to your pics of those flies in their mouths Mark.

I have been to Lake Havasu twice now and you are right, it is a great place.

After the latest world record was caught there, a 6.3 pound red ear, I booked a week long trip for the following March. Then this spring I went down there for a month and caught some up to 3 pounds on conventional gear. I posted a report for both trips on this forum. Here's a link to the last one.

https://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?/topic/110754-a-report-on-my-trip-to-lake-havasu-this-year/

This coming spring I will be down for a minimum of two months, (shooting for three, weather, health and wife permitting). I will be fishing almost exclusively with fly gear.

It is very much fun and  get excited just thinking about it.

Thanks.

16 hours ago, MuskyFlyGuy said:

Mark,

I look forward to reading about your adventure and seeing all the pictures. 
Tom

Thanks Tom.

Very nice snail patterns.  I tied some the last time you posted your attempts.  We have Redears here, but nothing as big as Havasu.  I haven't had any hits on mine yet.

I know it's several month or half a year or so, but I hope you get the time and get lots of great memories from your next trip to that lake.