Fly Tying
DWSmith

Adapting to lower blood pressure!?!?!?

Long story short, my doctor is in the process of adjusting my blood pressure meds.

My question is do any of you have experience with dizzy spells due to low but safe blood pressure and how long did it take you to adapt to it?  The lowest I've recorded my BP is 110/60 which isn't that low.  I'd rather tough it out and adapt than adjust my medicine to raise my BP a bit.

Thanks!

FYI, my meds sometimes nudge my BP down to the range of which you speak - but I do not however feel dizzy at all.  Obviously, make sure your cardiologist knows about it, and I've gotten second opinions when a previous doc wasn't 100% focused on my condition, or I didn't think they were up on the latest studies and advances (that's why they get paid a lot!).  This is one time when a "younger" and perhaps less experienced doc may have better current knowledge.    

Regards,

Quadruple bypass 4 years ago.  Vasovagal syncope is a dizzy/fainting event during a sudden drop in blood pressure.  I rarely get them now, but I went down a few times right after the operation.  My latest event, about a month or so ago, was brought on by heat and dehydration while working outside.  It's not just a BP thing, but what causes the drop and how rapidly it drops.  It's VERY important, especially after heart/cardio meds or events, that you drink more than you think you need.

Definitely discuss it with your doctor(s).

My doctor is fully aware of what's going on and says the amount of time depends on the person.  I was just wondering if any of you had gone through this and if you had any issues how long it took for you to adapt to the lower blood pressure.

My BP is doing just the opposite.  For most of my life, my resting heart rate has been around 60 BPM.  It still is, give or take a few.  It's always taken a bit of work to get it to "target" rates higher than 100.

Today, I went to the facility and completed my nuclear stress tests.  Resting heart rate, 57 to 62.  BP, 146/80.  After the resting nuclear pictures, I went to the treadmill.  After two raises in angle and speed, they had to get me up to jogging speed before I could get my heart rate over 133.  BP, highest was 186/89.  Technician said I looked a little flush in the face, but I don't feel any differences with the high blood pressure.

I only bring all this up because I don't know it there's any such thing as "adapting" to lower blood pressure.  You shouldn't be able to tell unless the pressure is dropping dangerously low or getting dangerously high.  If your experiencing dizzy spells and other reactions, I'd suspect problems, not just failure to adapt.

But ... all that written, I am no doctor.  I'm relating what I am experiencing.  I get Vasovagal Syncope when my pressure drops rapidly.  Otherwise, consistent high or low pressures don't seem to be noticeable.

Already working on it, Silver.  This thread isn't about mine being too high ... it's about DWSmith's being lowered and if he'll adapt to that or keep having dizziness, etc. issues.

I have low BP.  Before my heart attack it was usually under 117. 

Now, after, with the meds, I’m 90-100 over 60-70. 
The first couple of weeks after the stints were done, and taking all the meds, yes when I stand up after sitting a while or getting up out of bead, it was a bitch, light headedness just about passed out a few times.  Had to either sit back down a while or grab onto something.  
It’s much better now, still happens on occasions, but not as bad. I think either the heart got stronger or my body adapted to the meds.  A couple of the prescriptions actually lower BP , which I didn’t need. 

Yes, you will get better with the dizziness and light head thing if I’m the one to judge by. 

My “heart squeeze” was at25 %, as opposed to the 40-60% doc told me he wanted me to be at. So that didn’t help that situation. 

Your situation is surely different then mine, but I’m sure you will get better. 

Good luck  

about me

I go in for one last set of stints today, still recovering from a minor stroke which affected my eyesight. Not up close, but at distances. I see double when looking at things far away.  I am not allowed to drive, hopefully it will improve. It’s better now, but not enough to pass dmv test.  My heart is better, I can walk a mile or so on flat ground and do light chores, but I tire easily. 5 weeks ago, getting up to go the bathroom tired me out.  I was almost bedridden. So, there is hope my heart got better and will continue to do so.  

Tramp

Mike,

Yep, having dizziness at 110/60 which isn't that low.  Yesterday had a good day of no dizziness so I'm adapting to the lower yet normal pressure.

Doctor wants it to run at or below 130/80. I agree.

As long as I'm not symptomatic I want it as low as possible.

Speaking of pulse rate mine used to always be 54 bpm at rest but that was until I hit my 40's.  Now it runs at around 80 bpm.  I need to hit the stationary bike regularly.

I have a talking BP wrist cuff and I just took it off. I told me Systolic was 106, Diastock 67, pulse 57. It gives an opinion after readings and said, "These readings are ABNORMAL". Right now I'm going through so many meds I can't keep track of it all because my blood oxygen drops into low 80s every  time I do anything besides watch TV. After my bout in ER and a couple of overnights they told me my BP will vary and blood sugar is going to be high while taking all the meds. The one of main concern is Predisone and I am on a high dose for 10 days, medium tapering off for 10 days, and low dose to finish 10 days. Just checked sugar level and at 218 which is danger point and part of reason I'm fighting brain fog. May need to see doc about that tomorrow. That is 100 points higher than I normally see it. Damn this 80 year old body with bad lungs is giving me hell and hope I find a way back to my normal anyway, which wasn't that great. 

Edit to add...Checked blood sugar again after some mile excercising, rest and water. Down to 172, which is not great but better. Looked it up again and it is only after two readings of over 300 you should go to emergency and probably need a shot of insulin to bring it down. Checked wrist cuff again and it was 115/68, pulse 58. "These readings are NORMAL" . The cuff has cutoffs for normal and abnormal of 110 on the low side and 140 on the high side. It tries to keep you in that range. It also has a warning about brachardia at pulse below 50 and it gives me that often since I have a notoriously low heart since I was a kid and my normal is mid 50s and even working to get my heard rate up I'm lucky to see it at 80 where I know guys can hit 120+ easily. I also have a Kardia monitor for finger test to give EKG reading and that always shows normal Sinus Rythym and heart is one of the few strong points I have. My doc is setting me up with a pulmonologist and should hear from them next week and have to drive to Amarillo TX for that. 2 hour drive but it's there or equal distance to OK City and doc says access to clinic and parking and traffic is all easier in Amarillo. The clinic is right next to a stocked park pond and if I'm up for it I'll take a couple of rods and fly boxes along..                                                   

Yes, dizziness occurs.  Got to watch it when you get up out of a recliner or get out of bed.  You can fall if you get too dizzy.  Recently, I got a prescription for Restasis, for dry eyes.  It comes in those hateful little plastic squeezy things of about 4 drops per units.  Anyway, I lay on my bed to apply the drops and it made me seriously dizzy!  Dizziness is listed as a side effect, but it's way down on the list.

I've had bypass surgery on three occasions,  the first time when I was only 34 years old.  Five grafts that time, next time I was about 41, four grafts then, and last time about 12 years ago.  Five on that occasions.  I've been on BP medication most of my adult life.  

When I stand up after sitting down in a chair, my BP drops to 90/56 or so.  For an instant at least there's a medical term for this but I've forgotten what it is.  

One thing to do before getting up out of a recline if you get dizzy when you stand up, is to move your arms and legs before you get up. 

Seems to wake up the system and decrease the dizziness.  Orthostatic hypotension.

Rick

Hey DW: I feel you. Low BP can be scary. I hit a new low last month at 62/42. Hypovolemic shock is what was diagnosed. The kidneys shut down amongst other things leading to an ER/911 call.  Hospital stay for a few days until my kidneys started doing what they are supposed to do.  Not fun and scary as all get-out.  Hang in there. Remember: Your body feels, not easily understood, the things it does to your mind and spirit can cause so much.  We live it in so many different ways and it's not easily understood to be sure.  Be blessed, keep faith. The spirit of the Lord is not fear but of sound mind. I need to remember this for myself too.       

After sitting for a few minutes my BP is running at 110/60 more often than not.  The dizzy spells have subsided but I did have a few falls up until recently.

I'm at high risk for falling all the time and walk with a cane.  After having major back surgery in February falling is especially scary for me.

I think the problem has resolved itself since I'm having almost no light headed episodes.

Thanks for all of your replies guys!  👍