Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Trouttramp

Life change

The Oregon DMV, in its infinite wisdom, has determined that I am no longer visually capable to drive.  Due to a stroke caused by a heart attack/stint procedures. 

The visual field  test requirement is 120 degrees of vision.  I currently have 90somthing degrees according to my eye Doc. 

I am thankful for what I still can do. I am relatively healthy, my psychical  stamina has returned to pre attack levels. And my vision is good enough to do anything I want except drive.  My wife is able to drive us/me wherever we need to go. Thankful for that. 

However, my retirement dream of solo troutbumming through the rocky mts for weeks on end is now gone.  

Retirement is not going as planned. 66 is way too young to loose driving privileges. My life changed literally overnight.  I am now dependent on my wife and others to get places.  

Be thankful for what you have. 

5 minutes ago, Trouttramp said:

However, my retirement dream of solo troutbumming through the rocky mts for weeks on end is now gone

In a year or so after I'm done with shared custody time (2nd child turns 18 next October), I'll be doing the same and I'm happy to take you along for the drive/s whenever & wherever I'm going. For as long as you can stand my company. 

1 hour ago, chugbug27 said:

In a year or so after I'm done with shared custody time (2nd child turns 18 next October), I'll be doing the same and I'm happy to take you along for the drive/s whenever & wherever I'm going. For as long as you can stand my company. 

Way ta go dude.

As soon as I saw the title of this post I thought to myself, "Awe S**t, another life change". With a little help from your friends, you will be OK.

Due to other issues I'm dealing with I am able to understand how you feel...more than you know.

I wish you well and I hope for the best.

Move to OK. They don't care about things like vision or health. I went worried about the eye test and got my license for 8 years with nothing except a picture and my sigature.

Hope things work well for you in future. Wife does 90% of our driving anyway.

Nick

One other thought… look around your area for any fishing clubs -and if you find one that suits , consider joining….

Routine among clubs I know for members always looking for partners to fish with ( splitting expenses, etc. ).  It might widen your opportunities in ways you’ve not considered… Not to mention being able to advise and/or mentor beginners wanting to learn tying or angling skills…

I've got relatively good vision but I find my competence in driving is fading.  I'm not as quick as I used to be.  Moreover, I can't wade in trout waters, or any other waters.  Once I lose sight of my feet, I fall down.  I'm 78 YOA and feel it.  Had 3 open heart surgeries, am diabetic and have a chronic kidney disease.  On the other hand, I can still mangle up a fly on my bench.  Plenty of time for that.

I wouldn’t throw in the towel just yet. There are eye exercises to correct that and you are young enough to pull it off. I would give eye exercises a whirl and then go get another eye doctor for another exam/opinion. 

one thing I never like to do is pigeon hole myself as a trout or bass fishermen only. I do it all and enjoy all, I fly fish, spin fish, ice fish, bait fish, I fish for catfish, carp, trout, bass, walleye, stripers, founders, sunnies, pickerel and whatever else swims. I recognize that as I get older I may have to adjust fire so I want to be just as good at fishing corn for carp as catching little colorful fish on a fly rod. 

keep the chin up there are plenty of options, you just need a little time for it to settle in and figure this out and figure it out you will. Good luck! I wish you well. 

Thank you all for the support. You people give me inspiration.

I am truly thankful for what I have and all the things that I can still do. Touring the northwestern Rockies fly fishing by myself for weeks at a time just isn’t one of them.  Yes, I have my wife and a couple others to haul me around, I am also thankful for that.

As for my eyesight, the type of strokes I had damaged my optic nerves and am told that short of experimental stem cell treatments, the damage is irreversible. I will just have to some make life adjustments.

I am looking at high end E bikes to get around locally. I’ll get by just fine, just different.