Fly Tying
chugbug27

Ridiculous Yes, But...

4 hours ago, partsman said:

I prefer the dental floss pulls, cheap and last forever.

Mike.

The solder sucker re-purposed as a bobbin threader is pretty hilarious!    I'm with partsman on this;  I have a bunch of dental floss pullers to use for flossing under a bridge and when a light bulb went off one day and I thought of using it to thread the bobbin, I thought I'd stumbled upon a brand new "great idea".  Turns out, as I'm sure most all of you know,  people have been using the floss puller for that purpose for quite a long time........

You suckers out there obviously don't have any bobbins like a couple I have that have ceramic buttons going in and going out. Straight shot of tube fine but put ceramic buttons on each end of tube means you're going to use dental floss or the good styled wire models like I do.

Out of pure amusement and boredom I took one of those plastic squeeze ball suckers used to suck the snot out of sick baby nostrils and tested on each style of bobbin I have. I have about 3 dozen cheap bobbins with different tube configurations.  The snot sucker slipped over the ends of each one, I squeezed the sucker, inserted a thread in the other end and let go of the sucker. It sucked thread thru on the first try on each style bobbin I own. Some of my bobbins have a button tip as mentioned and the threader will hang on this on the inside of the tube. No problem with the snot sucker.  Honestly, I don’t know what any of this means and I’m sure none of us are the wiser but that’s my test results and I hope this info can be used to better mankind. 

49 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

Out of pure amusement and boredom I took one of those plastic squeeze ball suckers used to suck the snot out of sick baby nostrils and tested on each style of bobbin I have. I have about 3 dozen cheap bobbins with different tube configurations.  The snot sucker slipped over the ends of each one, I squeezed the sucker, inserted a thread in the other end and let go of the sucker. It sucked thread thru on the first try on each style bobbin I own. Some of my bobbins have a button tip as mentioned and the threader will hang on this on the inside of the tube. No problem with the snot sucker.  Honestly, I don’t know what any of this means and I’m sure none of us are the wiser but that’s my test results and I hope this info can be used to better mankind. 

Yay for the snot sucker!! My life is better now.😁