Fly Tying
down2earthlv

Everyone's First Flys!?

Beginner's first fly?  

204 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Albert: Those Deceivers should do the trick -- have you gotten out after those trevallies?

--Bill

Hi Bill,

Yes I did. Unfortuantely the deceiver was swallowed a little deep and I did not take the fish up for a photo to avoid more damage to the fish.

IPB Image

Did manage to get a quick shot before the tippet was cut to let the fish go. It not huge - about slightly over the 2kg mark.

regards

Albert

Nice fish and nice deceivers Albert

My first fly was either a crazy charlie or a clouser about 8 or 10 years ago.Thought it best to start out on something simple.

My first was a Dark Hendricks because it was the first fly in the book that can with the kit. Unfortunatly it did not explain hook size and all hooks can in a single plastic bag. I tyied it on a #6 streamer hook. :dunno:

My first was a Dark Hendricks because it was the first fly in the book that can with the kit. Unfortunatly it did not explain hook size and all hooks can in a single plastic bag. I tyied it on a #6 streamer hook. :dunno:

My first was a streamer type fly (or we'll just call it a streamer).I tied it on a bait holder hook.It was with craft feathers for crafts obviously.It was red yellow and blue.I tied a lot of those kind of flies.This was all back in grade school.Unfortunately I don't recall ever catching any thing on theses flies,and I was targeting perch and sunfish.I tied them with sewing thread and with out the aid of a vise or any tools that includes bobbin. :blink: :blink:

My first was a lady fish I caught on a trout candy down in FL. I was extra excited because I had tied the fly myself.

This is an old thread.

Anywho on my birthday last year my cousin came over on my birthday with a renzetti traveller vise, rite bobbin, and a Dr. Slick tool set, we then went and bought the materials for tying some PT nymphs and that was my first fly.

The legs were longer than the body and the tail was twice as long as the shank but it got me hooked and I have tied well over 1000 flies since, probably closer to 2000. I give away alot of flies and hook alot of trees. :)

Great hobby

"Old thread", yes but, interesting question. First fly was a Clouser... of course. Then a Deceiver. Now-a-days, no matter how hard I try, all my flies are derivations of Borski flies. I fish saltwater.

I can't remember the "first" fly I ever tied, but I know they were attempts to copy dry flies I saw pictured in an old Herters catalog. When I got serious about tying in the fall of 1966, I found that all our old materials were devoured by something, but the tools were still good. I had spent my first summer in Jackson Hole and my boss got me fly fishing. We bought our flies either from Carmichaels in Moose, or the fly shops in Jackson. All the fishing we did was with dry flies, so I started to learning to tie dry flies.

My only guide was the OLD 1951 version of the Wise Fisherman's Encyclopedia. I marked the patterns (10 in all,) that I though would be good to have by the next summer, and I went out to round up the materials for them. Not sure what was first, but these are the ones I had marked. Adams, Bradley, Dark Caddis, Dark Cahill, Dun Caddis, Ginger Quill, Gray Wulff, Irresistible, Quill Gordon, and Whitcraft. The pattern information was all written by A J McClane or Wayne "Buz" Buszek. The one fly missing from this list (that I realy WANTED to learn,) was the Goofus Bug. I know I had made some by the next summer, so they were in my first fly boxes.

In addition to the pattern listings (13 pages,) there was a fly tying section of 23 pages. Later that fall or winter, I picked up a copy of the Noll Guide to Trout Flies. In that book I marked many of the same patterns. I also checked a couple of other patterns (Hunt's Tangle Bee, and Hopper Fly,) both dry. I also marked several wet flies, but no nymphs or streamers. Some of the wet fly patterns I marked I know I converted to dry flies. My best Cutthroat was taken the next summer on a Spruce Fly (tied as a dry fly.)

The next summer (armed with several boxes of flies I had tied,) I headed back to Jackson Hole to float the Snake all morning, and fly fish all afternoon, and on days off. We would fish right above the bridge at Moose and catch whitefish and cutthroat all afternoon. My flies worked as well as I remember, and I tied flies in the evening to sell to other boat guides. I haven't purchased a fly since.

I fished nothing but dry flies for the first six or so years, and didn't start fishing nymphs until the mid seventies. Now I fish nymphs, and emergers much more than I do dry flies. I don't fish any of those first dozen or so patterns any longer. Maybe I should try them again.

My first were popper for BG made from 1/4" cork cylinders. This was over 40yrs ago and I still have a couple. Cork was epoxy'd to hump shanked hooks from Herters. No tail or one of calf tail and also had a small hackle wrapped around the rear of the hook. The cork cylinders were bought from E. Hillie. I then went to dear hair bugs. I still have a couple of them too.

About 15 years ago my grandpa bought me a Cabela's fly tying kit for my birthday and my first flies were wet flies. Alders and Black Gnats. I can't find them for pictures, but I still got them around here somewhere.

Getting back into the fly tying hobby again my first fly was Rick's Caddis, the first pattern in the Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple book from Skip.

If I remember correctly I think the first time I started tying flies it was a Zug Bug I was taught at my local fly shop.