Fly Tying
bly65

Carp Flies

Hey All,

Gonna try and fly fish for carp this year. Just about the only non saltwater fish i havent caught on they fly yet. Seems like a fun experience. I live a little north of pittsburgh in Pa. Prob fish some ponds around here and then up in lake erie and some other lakes in the summer time. So who wants to share their secret flies? :D

Thanks and tightlines to everyone!

bly65

Check out the species index for a start. One thing to keep in mind is carp are like bonefish and very spooky. They will hit buggers craws, nymphs, top water and berries. They fight like bulls and are supposed great table fair but reak when cooked. I have never ate one because the stench in the kitchen turned me off. I suggest strong tackle because like I said they are great fighters doing great runs and sometimes areobatics.

I dont fish for carp, atleast not intentionally. When I was growing up on the Snake River in southwest Idaho, we would catch carp and throw them way up on the bank for the birds. Carp, suckers and squaw fish were (and still are) considered trash fish in those parts. Only after moving to Wyoming did I learn that not all states let you do that. Here you could actually be fined for wasting fish.

To me catching a carp was just like snagging a bunch of moss. Just lays there while you bring it in. Are the eastern carp any differant? I've never had one put up any kind of fight or even jump. But with their popularity there must be some kind of thrill to go after them. Maybe I have been missing something all these years.

I think any kind of weighted fly tied with the hook point up and dragged across the bottom may work.

I don't know about your carp. I've watched the reel appear under backing while hooked into ten pounders on my 5 weight. I think they fight an aweful lot like redfish.

I thought my arm was going to fall off on the last one I caught. 30 min fight 4 runs that took almost all the backing off the reel. 20+ lbs on 4 lb test. Freight train comes to mind

Duckydoty

White ant while cotton woods were blowing fluff

Tons of fun and the guys are right that there is some good information in the species index. Indispensable book if you want to do some reading is Carp on the Fly by Befus, Berryman, and Reynolds

I was just at a tying demo given by International Angler, and the guy tying,Scott Lockner, said the clouser crayfish and clouser foxxee minnow were his top two flies for carp. Im gonna put some in my box when i head up to Morraine this year, i always see a few rootin arround on the flats by the dam

Clouser swimming nymph is my all time favorite for the "Golden Ghost", that is one fish that will not hesitate to take you into backing with an occasional line burn as well

Don

I love carp on the fly, the garanteed way to catch them is with a short shank 8 or 10 heavy hook....spin up the ugliest deer hair you can and trim to expose all of the bend and point. keep shaving till you end up with a popcorn sized puff.....and chum with just that! Carp out here LOVE popcorn to a feeding frenzy, toss out a handful, plop down your fly, and hold on tight. Definitely a great fighting fish in warmer waters...I don't know about cooking them in the kitchen, the only way I've ever known them to pass as edible is smoked.....OUTSIDE!!!!!

Heres a clouser crayfish, the shellback is swiss straw

IPB Image

Heres another view of the same fly

IPB Image

In smaller sizes , you need to use swiss straw for the shell back insted of furry foam to advoid too much bulk, this is a photo of one tied with swiss straw

Heres one tied with furry foam

IPB Image

I fish specifically for carp, Maybe the carp in the snake river were near death or something weird. Carp have adapted the name freshwater bonefish for a reason. Not only can they make infamous runs into the backing and heat your brake hand up in a hurry but they are also very aware of the nearest snag pile. Personally I don't care what I catch as long as it gives a worthy battle it should be returned to fight again. I see alot of fish up in the bushes and it sickens Me, even some pretty nice pike that some pike hater through in the bush last year over 20lbs. That is like going out hunting and killing 12 or so small bucks then only tagging the biggest one isn't it? Anyways, I got into carping after meeting an English man who pays at a pay lake just to fish for monster carp. It is by far the most famous sportfish in Europe and the sport is catching on here quickly. I would have never picked up the flyrod again had it not been for the taunting spring splashes of 20+ lb monsters in the flooded grain fields out here every year.

My favorite bait for them is a marabou leech on a size 10 scud hook soaked in anise oil or grenadine and slowly twitched along the bottom. I like to use quick change leaders or two rods and soak one while the other is fishing. I find that adding lead to the hook spooks them but if the current is fast it may be necessary although the better route if possible is to seek calm waters or tributaries. Even better is night fishing in the shallows and bays. Flyfishing at night can take a while to get use to and bring an extra rod incase one gets a birds nest or You fling it in the river the second a big beaver splashes you from 5 feet away in pitch blackness.

Look for a tail up and head a fly about 8-12 inches ahead of them then wait. The pick up is generally soft often an 1/8 inch movement of the line. Last year the wife got her first fish on the flyrod a 14 pound common. We saw metal on that reel and I thought maybe carp wasn't the best starter fish but she got it in. Her first rod and reel carp was 26.4 lbs nice fish for someone who has never caught a fish over 10 lbs.

Other flies I like are small scuds, and pellets or corn flies especially if you've baited the area for a night or two before.

I've generally caught mine on bread flies... white deer hair spun and trimmed roughly flat. Throw it out there by itself, or maybe with a handful of breadcrumbs!

They fight like crazy... bring a good net or fish from a point where you can land them.

I have heard over and over from people who say that a prince nymph is the key to carping. Either intentionally, or they have a prince nymph on while fishing for something else and carp keep hitting it.

I dont fish for carp, atleast not intentionally. When I was growing up on the Snake River in southwest Idaho, we would catch carp and throw them way up on the bank for the birds. Carp, suckers and squaw fish were (and still are) considered trash fish in those parts. Only after moving to Wyoming did I learn that not all states let you do that. Here you could actually be fined for wasting fish.

To me catching a carp was just like snagging a bunch of moss. Just lays there while you bring it in. Are the eastern carp any differant? I've never had one put up any kind of fight or even jump. But with their popularity there must be some kind of thrill to go after them. Maybe I have been missing something all these years.

I think any kind of weighted fly tied with the hook point up and dragged across the bottom may work.

Yes. I would say our carp here are different. I caught this big boy on the flats of Grand Traverse Bay in Michigan. this was by far the strongest and toughest fish I have ever landed anywhere and I have landed a 5 foot black tip shark, 30 pound Jack Crevalle and an 8 pound bonefish. None of these fish put me in danger of getting spooled. This carp did and that's a Ross Canyon #5 with 250 yards of gel spun backing.

IPB Image

This guy was 30#

I get most of my carp in the bay on crayfish patterns. Sometimes I use clouser minnows in crayfish colors like brown/orange. We usually fish the larger patterns here like #2 and #4

In the river I catch carp on mulberry patterns.

Im sorry Gregg A. But I must agree with oxguo... I honestly dont like/appreciate the people that will throw a fish (of ANY kind) onto the bank to die just because of what he is... That is basically racism... Would you throw a person out of a house just because of their religion/race? If not then why would you throw a carp or a whitefish out on the bank? Your tossing them out of their home and killing them. Even if you say it is to feed the birds or other animals that will make the animals more comfortable with humans... That is NOT a good thing.

I must ask any person on these forums and also guest to not throw a fish out onto the bank unless you plan on eating the fish. Sorry I am calling you out on this on a public page.