Fly Tying
iso18

how good of a tyer r u really and how do you feel about your tying whe

WHAT KIND OF TYER DO U CONSIDER YOURSELF 2B  

596 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm an average fly tier really only concerned with catching fish with my own flies. I've caught some memorable fish with some very scrappy flies. I think the only ones interested in perfect ties are the fly tiers, not the fish :)

Overall I guess I am a good tyer. I have days when I'm hot, and days when I'm not. When I am "not", I usually get ticked and stop for a few hours, then try it again. You can tell what a pattern is supposed to be, when you look at my flies. Most of the time now, I can pretty much tie what I want, and it comes out okay. Salmon flies have kicked my rear. I am best at tying streamer flies, and I have tied some decent poppers too. I have been tying for 3 years, and I am improving. I look at a fly I think is real good, then look at it a few months later, and think it was total junk. Some of my flies I am very pleased with. I try to make the flies to please anglers, and fish both. Tying to me is a creative outlet. I love to catch fish on flies I've tied myself. That just makes my day. :)

I think of myself as a good fly tyer but I do have limitations. I don't tie many full dresed Atlantics those dudes who tie those are masters of the vise, but I do enjoy tying the speys. I don't tie bugs that look like you glued a live one on a hook, that is beyond my patient level. However, I think any one can be a good fly tyer.

i tie flies to catch trout and save money. I value stream time way over bench time. Nothing that i tie is artistic. That said, I can tie twenty caddis flies that are almost identical in a reasonable amount of time. I do not fear tying wings on mayfly patterns on an 18 or 20 hook. But i also cannot think of a single fly that i tie, except maybe one or two, that anyone would be interested in looking at...

I've been tying for forty-some years and can tie a decent fly providing I try a specific pattern a few times and my magnifying glass remains free of fog.

Back in the seventies and eighties I taught a few folks how to tie and they definitely, I suspect without exception, surpassed my meager abilities.

Good fly tier? I do not think I could be called as such even with exaggeration.

But I do catch fish with what I tie :ph34r:

And.... I DO enjoy this site!

Despite the fact that I started tying 30 years ago, I have not been at it as steadily as I would have liked in past years, so I would rate myself as average-good, and I am always critical of my own tying.

I admit that I think I'm pretty darn good....Sometimes. I guess it all depends on my mood and how I'm feeling. When I'm having a good day, I'm on fire. When I'm not, I start getting frustrated over simple things. Even woolly buggers don't just turn out quite right. :angry: :lol:

Been tying for 51 years, a fair bit of commercial tying. Have fun and learn something every time I sit down at the vice. I figure I'll get good in another 50. gramps tied to 109.

ackroid.jpg

I have tied commercially a little and tied competitively. The only flies that really prove to be a big challenge to me are the smaller realistic nymphs. I have been looking for someone to tech those to me but I have never found anyone I could sit down with and learn from. I have owned books on the subject but that is not the same as working first hand with someone.

As for getting frustrated and having to back off....when I was younger that happened, now that I am older and heavily medicated it isn't as much of an issue....LOL

Paul

So far, after 3 months of tying, just OK. I am working on mastering the basics and my flies will not win beauty contests, but the fish haven't refused them. I aim to be the best that I can be, but my main intent is to catch fish and I have found that fish will take some pretty ugly flies that may not look anything like they are supposed to. For me the fun comes from working on something and watching it get better with time then see it actually serve its purpose.

I only show my flies to fish and to those who know nothing about fly fishing. The fish won't say a word and the people marvel at them.....it helps build my self esteem.

I'm not brulliant but I've been tying for a month, now, I've mastered ship finishing by hand, can dub and hackle okay, spinning deer hair is giving me some problems though, I can pack it tight at all

I'm somewhere between crappy and decent. I constantly second-guess my tying technique and learn something just about every time I watch a video. I can't sit down and tie a dozen flies, so each session is kinda like a new experience for me. I would like to tie fast and accurately, but cannot. I'm fully aware of most of my deficiences, and have come to know I'll never get above average.

Thought I would have a bit of a brag, I've rally taken to tying streamers, so, I had a second go at spinning and stacking deer hair on a streamer, and whilst looks wise the hair head isn't perfect, it works :D I can't sink it no matter what and if I sink it and let go, it pops back up with the hook inthe right orientation :D