Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For me it is Nor-Vise or J-Vice and I wish I had bought one of them as soon as I realized how much I enjoyed this pastime.

I stair-stepped my way through several lower quality models that worked okay, which have now been given to new students of the game. But I could have saved quite a few $ in the long-run and good tools add to the fun and lessen many problems.

For me it is Nor-Vise or J-Vice and I wish I had bought one of them as soon as I realized how much I enjoyed this pastime.

I stair-stepped my way through several lower quality models that worked okay, which have now been given to new students of the game. But I could have saved quite a few $ in the long-run and good tools add to the fun and lessen many problems.

I use a piece of junk that came with a fly tying kit purchased at Gander Mountain for about $30 (for the entire kit). I have tied many successful flies in spite of the vise being rather difficult to use. The best thing I can say about it is that it works, not especially well, but, it does work.

FYI, I have not posted in a,very long time due to a series of physical issues. I broke my left leg, then my lower back required surgery, I developed Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome in my left leg, then a Morten's Neuroma in my left foot, and just recently I went through a very painful surgery to repair a broken left hand. On a good note, I am on the mend and should be "slinging some line" in about a month...just in time for the sand bass run!

Welcome back, Roland!

Holy Moly, man ... you need to change your screen name to "Lucky" !!!

I sincerely wish you a speedy recovery and a fly rod in your hand soon !!!

PS ... According to some, you might not have had all those injuries and surgeries if you were tying on a $3000.00 LAW vise !!!

I've been using a Dynaking baracuda for about 10 yr. Having tied thousands of flies on it I can't imagine being with out it. I had a Regal years ago, after having hooks pop out and fly across the room too many times I sold it.

Started out with a Universal II rotary, graduated to Thompson A, finally use HMH standard and Regal for most of my tying. Of course, being a vice - I have tried and own several others which are used for travelling to tie on vacation or with fly tying groups.

Thompson A ---> Thompson A revisited ---> Renzetti Traveler ---> ??? Next ???...

Old Renzetti Master?

Used DK Barracuda / Ultimate Indexer?

Used Petitjean Master?

Used Norvise?

Used JVise?

Always dreaming....

Started with a Thompson A and still use it forty plus years later, also have a very good knock off of it, a Sunrise "AA" bought @1980 to teach the kids on; side by side hands on method. I made a base for the "A" soon after I got it.

I think I'd like a Norvise, but doubt I ever change.

Hello I am new to this forum and I thought this very long thread might be great place to introduce myself through my vise use history...

I started tying in the early 1980s (as a teen) using a Thompson A, which I used through high school and university and into the early-90s. About this time, my Thompson was lost in a move; I replaced it with a Dyna-King Pro. For Christmas in 93, I took some gifted tying classes on salmon/steelhead flies and was convinced that I needed a rotary vise and got myself a Renzetti Traveller. I still have both vises but I use the DK Pro exclusively at my bench, as the whole rotary functionality is not something I use very much. I find the standard DK jaw holding range (from 30 up to 5/0) is incredible and more than enough for the hooks I use. The Renzetti is my camping, travelling vise; aptly named in my case. So that's my vise use history.