Fly Tying

Hook Choice  

328 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It depends on the pattern I am tying (I try and use high quality with whatever I do tie). Mustad Signature is good for some. Daiichi & Tiemco are also used a lot. I am even finding higher quality with many of the European hook companies

(just love those Swedish Dry Fly Hooks) !!! B)

I used to buy strictly Mustad for their cheap price but I'm slowly learning that you get what you pay for. After having one batch of flies rust before I ever used them I decided to start buying a little higher quality hooks. I also noticed that Mustad's tend to be made out of a much softer metal than other hooks and they would bend easily from fish and crush if the vise was too tight.

--CHad

A friend who is a pro tyer recently told me he has been going away from TMC and is buying another brand I never heard of for its quality and low cost now. Sorry but he did not tell me the name of the newer hooks.

i will tie on Alec Jackson spey hooks (daiichi) and gamakatsu spey hooks. maybe nothing as perfect looking as a spey fly on an AJ hook, but to be honest when i'm hooked up to a chrome steelhead thats panicking and freaking out all over the place i feel the most comfortable by far when i know i've got a Gamakatsu Octopus hook stuck in his face

It depends on the fly I'm tying. I tie most of my flies on Mustad, but also use Tiemco and Daiichi if there is not a Mustad equivalent.

I use Mustads more than anything else. Since they've come out with the Signature series, I'm finding that I'm using R-50's almost exclusively for soft-hackles, which account for about half of what I tie. I'll go with something else if Mustad doesn't make the style I'm looking for on other flies.

I find the comment someone made about Mustads being "too soft" interesting. In the past, I found just the opposite -- they were too brittle. I've never straightened one on a fish, but I've broken plenty, either in the vise, or on a rock. For that reason, I tended to avoid them for lighter wire (i.e. dry fly) hooks. I never saw the problem on a wet fly hook, however.

One other problem with Mustads that still persists even with the Signature series is that inevitably there will be a few hooks in the pack where one hook will be caught in the eye of another hook. You can't separate them without crushing the barb of the hook that's through the eye. It's not too much of a problem, since I usually crush the barb as a matter of routine, but it's still annoying. On flies I'm tying for someone else (such as in a swap, or for a TU raffle) I don't crush the barb, so it always means there are two or three fewer hooks in the pack than is listed on the box.

In the past, there was also the problem that a few of hooks in pack didn't have the eye completely closed. I haven't noticed this problem with the Signature series, though.

Im very surprised at the lack of use of daiichi hooks. I have tried them all and daiihci is with out a doubt as sharp as tiemco, almost as well balanced in size as the new Mustads, and as strong as any hook made. If you like tiemco you will like daiichi and the price is better. I use Daichi on all of my flies except for 3 hooks 90 degree jig hooks, 60 degree jig hooks (both mustad ultra point) and 30 degree swimming jig hooks (eagle claw) Daiichi is with out a doubt as good or better than any hook made. The ultra point jig hooks stick to fish better than any hook made! I am amazed at how well and fast they penetrate. The eagle claw is the only manufacturer that I can find who makes the 30 degree swimming jig hook. Its not a bad hook.

I will take Daiichi hooks over anything. I have found them to be the most consistant quality with Tiemco right behind them. These 2 brands are well worth the extra money and especially in saltwater fishing. I picked up a bulk supply of of the EC 413 with 60 degree bend for certain flies cause you are limited where you can get them. EC have the smaller sizes available where Daiichi doesn't. Also EC hooks requires a lot sharpening to match the out of box sharpness ot TMC and Daiichi. Mustads are good but really haven't used much of any of their newer hooks out yet as I already have large supply to last me 10 years or so. If you plan on targeting trophy sized fish in exotic places or expensive trips in saltwater then dont sell yourself short on quality hooks.

I use Tiemco. No particular reason... just what I buy, must be habit. I do have 1 box of Mustads for nymphs and I must say, they're not that sharp at all. I have also used some Daiichi hooks for some streamers and they are good too. Havent tried things like Partridge, Alec Jackson, or Lightning Strike.

I still have lots of the old style Mustads and have never had a problem with them, stock up from ebay auctions when I can. I oredered some from Togans on their ebay auctions and they seem strong and haven't broken any but the only problem I find whith them is they're bright they need a darker bronze color on them.

Was given some Tiemco and the;y seem okay but checking prices I'll keep looking for the old Mustads

Fatman

I mostly use Mustads, but I prefer Daiichi, I think Partridge makes really good hooks, and Gaelic Supreme hooks I think are good (They look very high quality) at least they better be for those prices.

Call me a reprobate, but I’m still using the old Mustad 94840s for most standard dry flies. Sure, the newer hooks are sharper, stronger and sexier. But I don’t really think that the marginal difference in quality makes any practical difference in a fishing situation. I can’t honestly say I ever missed or lost a fish because I was using an 840. And, for me, they float better than, say, Tiemco 101s. (No doubt a better tier wouldn’t have that problem.) Besides, it makes me feel pretty smart to be using an old fashioned hook that costs half of the new fangled ones and still gets the job done.

My fav or hoppers are the Mustad 94831s in size 6. They’re extra long and extra light and just fit right on my deer hair pattern. You gotta look for them (I think they’re out of print) but I stocked up last year and have enough to last for the rest of this lifetime.

And I can’t complain about Mustad 34007s for bonefish patterns. I sometimes touch up the point with a file, but that’s probably not even necessary. Again, I’ve lost my share of bones, cudas and permit (and probably some of your share too), but never because of the hook.

Lest you think I’m a shill for the Mustad corporation, I do like other hooks for other jobs. I love Orvis 8810s in 3/0 or so for bass bugs. They’re light, strong, sharp and have a wicked gap that just looks lethal hanging under a deer hair frog.

And, I recently sprang for a bunch of TMC 600SPs for tarpon flies. They’ve got a properly short shank, great shape, strong point and are as sharp out of the box as any hook I’ve ever seen. At $1.40 a piece, they ought to be good. But, then, when you go through all the effort to get in front of a nice tarpon, it doesn’t seem that the hook is the place to start being frugal.

Nice discussion. Thanks, everyone.

Hi, Arkansas Mike. Ladyflytyer here. Had a hard time getting around site to answer you; new to forums!!!! Anyway, very interesting to read the responses. Like lots of others, I'm very partial to Mustad hooks because they are cheaper and you can buy them in 100's, and because they have a hook for about every purpose. I've been tying about 12 years now and am still partial to the Mustads.