Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Snowblind

Flyting hackles going to hairdressers?!

Was in the shop recently, they are totally wiped out on hackles. A hair dresser came in looking to buy some as well, but there were none left.

Why?

Someone got the great idea of tying them into their hair and now it is a crazy. Oh, so sad to see high grade hackles go to a salon!

Are you all seeing the same issue where you are? Granted I live in California... but still, the waste!

(the dresser said online the feathers cost up to $10 for 5 saddle feathers. good god, talk about a rip off!)

(excuse the typo in the subject... I need more coffee!)

looks like i need to jump on the wagon and make some profit :) I have not seen that here in vegas

That fad won't hit Toledo until about 2013.

Get ahead of the game and start posting on craigs list that you can do this and see if anyone will pay you 5 bucks for a feather.

if i owned a shop and a paying customer came in to buy in this economy, what do i care what they do with it! :dunno:

thank you very much and let me know if i can get you more!

if i owned a shop and a paying customer came in to buy in this economy, what do i care what they do with it! :dunno:

thank you very much and let me know if i can get you more!

It is a tough call. Would you rather your best customers (I am just a good one, not a best one!) come in and find that you have NO feathers on the shelf? At least on the West Coast my local shop cannot get replacements to keep the shelves stocked.

How much additional loss of sales will you have when said customer can't buy what he wants for tying?

I dunno... I am just asking the question. Maybe a more business savvy person could explain what the trade off would be.

if fly tyers are buying more and more products online and the inventory is just sitting there and a hairdresser comes in and asks for feathers, why not sell them?

not every fly tyer walking into a brick and mortar shop is going in there to buy hackles.

I can only afford new hackle on very special occasions and have to order mine online...can you imagine what these BOZOs are going to cause the price to do now?!?!? Leave our feathers to tiers and natives (indigenous peoples)!

if fly tyers are buying more and more products online and the inventory is just sitting there and a hairdresser comes in and asks for feathers, why not sell them?

not every fly tyer walking into a brick and mortar shop is going in there to buy hackles.

No one said not to sale it to them just that it seemed a little weird what some people use our supplies for. I bet when old men started raiding the craft and fabric stores they thought it was just as weird. :bugeyes:

after writing this I read that Lykos did say not to sale it to them. But Lykos is wrong it will increase demand and yes prices might increas but then manufacturers will increase production to account for it and then prices should fall and be better than before.

I can't predict anything about how prices might be affected...but could you imagine being denied purchasing bead chain at home depot if you told them it was for fly tying? Or denied at any other store after telling them your intentions? We would all have to go underground and lie to all our sources just to get our crack! ...wait...what were we talking about?