Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

Hey fshng2 what do you think that fish is, a young brown or a young brookie? I know its a bad picture but I say brookie.

I vote Brown, based on juvenile Brookies caught here... Brooks have a vermicelli look. But, it could be BOTH They are stocking some lakes in WY with a hybrid called a Tiger trout, so sometimes only DNA tests can confirm... Envious here, so ready to get out of the cabin...

1DEFE91A-C7AB-4476-A96E-5D73F934270B.png

Never caught a brown (none in the areas I fish) but i would have to say that's not a brook trout. Red spots on a brook trout are surrounded by blue haloes.

The brook trout is the PA state fish. That is a brown trout. It's a weird looking brown but I have no doubt it's a brown. Probably stocked.

I would say brown also because I don’t see any red spots.

Might be my eyes but I think I see a row of red spots on that fish.

Might be my eyes but I think I see a row of red spots on that fish.

Couldn't see spots on my tablet but you are correct they are there when I look at my computer.

The red spots appear to have a white halo around them, and the remaining spots are dark, both typical of a brown.

It just didn't look like a brown to me earlier because I couldn't see any worm like markings on the back nor were the fins and tail marked with a prominent white edging that you expect to see with a brook trout.

After a better look I'm convinced it's a brown.

I didn't know if it was a brown but I did know it wasn't a brookie. We have a backcross splake stocked in some lakes (original was 50/50 lake trout and brookie and these were backcrossed with brook trout) and the only way to tell the difference difference is the blue haloes. A taxidermist friend once remarked that I was the only person who recognized that a splake that he had mounted was a splake and not a really big brook trout. The only reason I knew that is because I had caught both ice fishing and when laid side by side that was the only difference that I could see.

Les

Wait, you don't see any red spots? How many fingers am I holding up? tongue.png

Wait, you don't see any red spots? How many fingers am I holding up? tongue.png

Ha...with or without my glasses?

Some of my buds with 28 of the 60 rainbows and stocked salmon we caught on Sunday. They have some hungry fish eaters at home. Nothing huge this time, most of the fish we kept were in the 16 inch range.

steve%20n%20rick-XL.jpg

What was your biggest?

Around 18 I think, we don't measure them when they are that small. But i'm sure we didn't have over our limit of one each, 18" or bigger.