Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
milo3

Foam cutter ?

I have ordered a cricket cutter as my cutting skills by hand is not very good. What is the material used under the foam so I don't dull the cutter ? Many thanks for the help.

Don't use one of those cutters myself, but would think another pieco of foam under the one you are cutting would work.

If you purchased a foam cutter from River Road Creations, the cutter is shipped with a foam

pad to place underneath the foam to be cut. This protects the blades from premature

dulling.

Try a rubber pencil eraser, either the pink kind or the tan, kind of murky colored one. Not as nice as the pad that comes with the kits, but cheap, readily available. I'm leery of using the same kind of foam I'm cutting for a protective layer, as you might cut right thru the bottom layer, too. The erasers are much thicker and tougher.

Thanks, Bob H

Try a rubber pencil eraser, either the pink kind or the tan, kind of murky colored one. Not as nice as the pad that comes with the kits, but cheap, readily available. I'm leery of using the same kind of foam I'm cutting for a protective layer, as you might cut right thru the bottom layer, too. The erasers are much thicker and tougher.

Thanks, Bob H

Pumice, an abrasive, is a common ingredient in the manufacture of pencil erasers. An abrasive is probably not a material

you want to have in the pad underneath the foam you are cutting.

The pad pictured in flytire's post is not the same type of foam used to make flies with cutters. My assumption would be that

the cutter will come with an appropriate pad and finding a pad would not be necessary. If the kit doesn't come with a pad, I'd

get in touch with the outfit the kit was purchased from.

A very simple solution to the dilemma is one of the quilt makers cutting pads, available for 'pennies' at any fabric/craft store. They are designed to be used with the disc cutters that are used to cut out quilting pieces of fabric. If such pads do not dull the cutting edge of the wheel-type cutters, they should not dull the edge of the foam cutters. I have been using one for years and highly recommend them.

A very simple solution to the dilemma is one of the quilt makers cutting pads, available for 'pennies' at any fabric/craft store. They are designed to be used with the disc cutters that are used to cut out quilting pieces of fabric. If such pads do not dull the cutting edge of the wheel-type cutters, they should not dull the edge of the foam cutters. I have been using one for years and highly recommend them.

In my day job I use a rotary cutter and have to agree with the cutting mat. I small plastic cutting board would also work. Avoid paper as it is very abrasive to cutting edges.

Paul

Paul...

You are absolutely correct. NOTHING dulls a knife edge faster than cutting paper. And yes, a plastic (Teflon?) cutting board also works quite well.

Cheers!

Sounds like a trip to Hobby Lobby,many thanks for everyone's help. milo [home of milo's ugly bug !]

I have ordered cutters from river road creations and they send a rubber pad along with them so the rubber must work the best

post-42518-0-82997300-1337584694_thumb.jpg

Do you glue two of these foam shapes either side of the hook or do you need to thread the hook through? What are the other shapes in the set?