Fly Tying
Dan J

DUBBING

Saw a awesome video on youtube on making your own dubbing.. really easy get ya a coffee grinder, any old yarn (WARNING WARNING WARNING: DO NOT USE YOUR WIFES YARN BAD IDEA) Cut the yarn into small pieces put a small amount in the grinder, palse the grinder until the yarn is whipped up looking like cotton candy. there ya have it dubbing.

A coffee grinder is essential for me. I can mix dubbing just as well with my fingers but it takes so long just to do a little. There are several recipes I have for dubbing mixes I use a lot. My grinder will take a full pack of dubbing and more at a time. This means I can make a new big batch in seconds. You can also use it for softening stiff dubbings.

A word of warning, some synthetics will melt if you use a long burst of the grinder.

Cheers,

C.

Saw a awesome video on youtube on making your own dubbing.. really easy get ya a coffee grinder, any old yarn (WARNING WARNING WARNING: DO NOT USE YOUR WIFES YARN BAD IDEA) Cut the yarn into small pieces put a small amount in the grinder, palse the grinder until the yarn is whipped up looking like cotton candy. there ya have it dubbing.

This may provide some additional tips on dubbing:

http://thewayofthefly.wordpress.com/2011/09/07/guest-blogger-dennis-shaw/

PT/TB ;)

I just love making my own dubbing.I also like to remix the dubbing I get at the shop. I have spent hours mixing dubbing.I have a recipe box full of dubbing mixes.I love fly tying..... :D

I used to use the coffee grinder method, but now I mix dubbing using a small peanut butter jar.

Fill the jar about 2/3 full with water (after removing the peanut butter and cleaning), then add the dubbing you want to mix. Screw on the cap tightly, and shake it really well for a minute. Remove the dubbing and put in in a kitchen strainer (I use a small aquarium net). Take it out of there and squeeze the rest of the water out, then separate it a little and put it on a sponge to dry.

A few more steps than a blender, but I like the results. And I hardly ever have rabbit fur in my coffee anymore. :rolleyes:

A coffee grinder is essential for me. I can mix dubbing just as well with my fingers but it takes so long just to do a little. There are several recipes I have for dubbing mixes I use a lot. My grinder will take a full pack of dubbing and more at a time. This means I can make a new big batch in seconds. You can also use it for softening stiff dubbings.

A word of warning, some synthetics will melt if you use a long burst of the grinder.

Cheers,

C.

I have my own coffee grinder also, I got it at the Salvation Army Store for a $1. I also maintain recipes of blends I like and I agree 100% with the synthetic warning.

Agreed and used all methods. It adds some fun in to the process. When my blonde labs shed, almost always, I use fur that just accumulates around the house. Then you can dye it too. My favorite is australian opposum.

Cheers,

C.

I have my own coffee grinder also, I got it at the Salvation Army Store for a $1. I also maintain recipes of blends I like and I agree 100% with the synthetic warning.

You beat me. I paid a $1.75 for mine at a thrift store. :lol:

I have been trying to work up a good substitute for Australian possum using various wool and antron yarns. So far I have not hit the exact shade of orangish-tannish-brownish I am looking for, but trying is half the fun. I have not even started on blending furs yet using the grinder. :)

And I hardly ever have rabbit fur in my coffee anymore. :rolleyes:

Makes me wonder, might coffee grounds in your dubbing count as an attractant?

John:

What are you trying to match with the orange opposum? My favorite fly is the Ausable Wulff by Fran Betters. I had a heck of a time trying to match Fran's orange. So I went to see him and bought a bunch that I stil use as a model to match my dyes. Dying dubbing is going to add a whole new dimension to your mixing. Occasionally I find that to mix or blend my dubbing just right I get it to fine. The water mixing method is good when you want to keep it spikey.

Speaking of that, I try to stay away from scrap fur pieces from people making garments. They shave it to make it even and you can't pick out the guard hairs from the underfur.

I have no idea why I wrote this as your dealing with synthetics:)

John:

What are you trying to match with the orange opposum? My favorite fly is the Ausable Wulff by Fran Betters. I had a heck of a time trying to match Fran's orange. So I went to see him and bought a bunch that I stil use as a model to match my dyes. Dying dubbing is going to add a whole new dimension to your mixing. Occasionally I find that to mix or blend my dubbing just right I get it to fine. The water mixing method is good when you want to keep it spikey.

Speaking of that, I try to stay away from scrap fur pieces from people making garments. They shave it to make it even and you can't pick out the guard hairs from the underfur.

I have no idea why I wrote this as your dealing with synthetics:)

I have bought pieces of Australian opossum from various suppliers and there always seems to be just a small part that is a rusty brown color that I really like for fur-bodied nymphs of various types, such as the Possie Bugger. The Australian possum is quite expensive and usually only a small part of it is the shade I am looking for. So I have been fooling around with various types of yarn to try to get a good match. I have used wool yarn, which I guess is a natural material, coming from sheep, and also antron for a bit of sparkle. Not quite sure what the problem is with synthetics - the fish don't seem to care.