Fly Tying
riffleriversteelheadslayer

Febuary 2013 flies from the vice

I have been tying these lately... Split wing case BWO nymphs. I had to buy one from the shop so I could take it apart to find out that they use razor foam over the thorax. I really like the looks of this one.

IMG_0035.JPG

The step by step instructions can be found on my blog below.

Piker20, lol :D

I'm so uncertain with these modern flies nowadays -I usually just feed my garbage can with those.. Even the earlier love, the tube flies, now hate me.

Chef, that trout fin wing is very nice. If you want any better wing, you have to be very picky with the material. Fish don't care, its just the tier. Only fault I see is the b&w portion being a bit shorter than orange and we are talking only 1mm here. Keep up good work.

Thanks Rolson! It is a bit shorter, or at least it seems that way! I dont have any local fly shops really so mine all comes from the web. The best quills so far I have found to be natures spirit.

Switch 10, that's a sweet approach. I love the idea of putting the foam in there. Heck, you could even "bubble it up" so it poked through the feather which is making the wing case so it looked even more "emergent" so to speak. Very cool little fly.

I was just playin w/ wing cases today too.

I tried showing some red flash up through a black PT nymphs wing case but it wasn't workin out so I just went right over case and bead with it. :) I call him, "head trauma".

With the other PT I teased the peacock up through the case between the fibers. That one looks really neat in the light, almost like something struggling to get out, but I doubt the pic will show it.

I'm brand new at this and those are PT's no. 12 & 14 for me.

post-46683-0-38513600-1361231726_thumb.jpg

post-46683-0-84531500-1361231746_thumb.jpg

post-46683-0-98955100-1361282361_thumb.jpg