Fly Tying
coinman66

Heavy Streamer Hook

What would be a good heavy streamer hook for EP flies? I need a size 8 and 10 for small minnow patterns. I tied a few with some hooks i had, but the fly doesnt sink to fast. Cant use lead wire cause i want the fly to ride hook down.

Thanks

Lead wrapped around the shank usually will not effect the center of gravity of the fly providing the hook gap is sufficient. If you are really concerned about it, you can tie in a length of lead to the bottom of the hook shank. I use a Mustad 3366 hook for most of my streamers.

i agree with heavynets...and nothing wrong with adding some flash/bling/weight with a bead in the middle....but wire shouldnt be hurting you at all if wrapped. like heavy stated...can tie a larger strip of wire to the bottom of the shank to help add that weight where it is needed/wanted-Jason

EP flies from Enrico are almost tied exclusively with Gama SC-15's. These are thin wire hooks. If your fly is not sinking I would say try using less material. The flies should be extremely sparse with is hard to get used to doing because it goes against a lot of tying techniques.

If you want it to sink fast, I agree with the other posters. You can add lead wire to the shank and not affect hook orientation.

Im not a "pro" by any means.. I have fished EP flies for quite some time and I have also been a member on his site for a few years so Ive seen a lot of tying videos.

As Ben says the fly needs to be sparse sparse and more sparse. I would choose to use a sinktip and have a nice light fly that dances in the water over a heavy fly.

I agree with Ben on less material, but for a heavier hook, the Mustad C70 2x heavy is one of my favorites

gamakatsu B10S is a very good hook

nice wide gap very strong sharp like only a gama can be

match stick weights are the way to go if you want a strip of lead under the shank

they are flat so they don't roll when tying them on

Have read this thread with great interest, as I know I need to tie some of those EP style flies, but perhaps it's just me, I'm having some difficulty with the hook sizes! Coinman66, no offense, but wouldn't a different pattern be a better choice than those EP style flies in the sizes you're intent on tying. I'm no expert on the EP style, and have yet to try tying them, but I don't recall ever seeing them tied in such small sizes. unsure.png

I've seen 2's & 4's tied on saltwater type hooks, but not size 8 or 10. Does the pattern style really lend itself well to such small sizes?

For your question, would the straight shank streamer hooks, such as Tiemco 9394/9395, 777SP or Daiichi 1750 or 1850 style fit your purposes? I believe all of these hooks are made in 8 & 10.

I hope this comes to fruition as I'm very interested in seeing the results!

FWIW - my go-to trout & salmon minnow patterns are Lefty's deceivers down to #12. Using sparse calf tail for the collar will ensure that you get a decent sink rate. I'm also curious as to how EP fibers will work on that small a fly - It'll be interesting to see what you come up with.

Peter, I've tied Clousers on size 8 & 10 straight shank hooks, using various fine textured natural hairs, but never anything that small with synthetics.