Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hellgrammite

BWOs and sizes: How small do we really need?

Hello folks. Just like the title says; how small do you really need, and what patterns do you depend on most for emergers and dries, and spinners?

I have just used RS2s, standard and parachute BWOs, and poly wing spinner the few times I have fished these, but... what do you like? And how small? How big? 18s and 20s, maybe 16s for the bigger ones, are all I have ever really seen, though I am told some are smaller, which I have never seen (possibly because, you know, I didnt look close enough, idk.)

What sizes do you deem "must haves" for these critters, east or west?

Amanda

My upwing box (I try to have a box to cover the common ones in the I family) range from 14 to 18. My mayfly box has them to 8s. Normally a 16 is a good bet for me.

16-18 are my go too sizes, I also use those in caddis patterns, they just seem to work well.

My go to pattern is the sparkle dun in 18 with dubbing, biot, and thread abdomens. I carry some 16s which I rarely use and also 20s which is use more frequently. For smaller I use rs2s. I also find klinkhammer style flies to be effective and I always have some upright wings and parachute styles but don't find them as effective, those usually in 16s and 18s. However I've got some size 20 klinkhammers in the mail.

There can be more than one hatch of baetis (BWO) a year. On the western rivers that I have fished the earlier hatches are larger size 18 works, and I fish my own emerger pattern. By fall, the same hatch is smaller 20 or 22 works better, but I still fish an emerger pattern. For nymphs, I just use the PT or sometimes the RS2.

Mostly 18s and a few 20s. Besides parachutes, thorax styles work well for duns. CDC loop-wing emergers have worked well for me as have Purple Haze Cripples.

emergers size 16 on a caddis hook upright wing and parachute size 18. size 20 I just dub he body and a few turns of hackle no wings fingers are to fat. size 18 is what I fish the most.

I agree. I have tied winged size 20's, but it's not necessary. Size 18 is generally as small as I go with a full, winged BWO. Baetis, of course, are sometimes much smaller, but the smallest I ever tie is a size 22, and that is done midge style. In fact, I often use just tying thread for the body, as small Baetis are often very slender.

On the Davidson River there is a stretch of gin clear slow moving water in front of the hatchery. The fish range from 3 to 30 inches. They see more flies than an Orvis fly order stocker. When you throw a size 16 to these fish, it looks like you tied a seagull on the end of a 2X tippet. I will frequently use 26 and 28 BWO , PMD or caddis. The combination or bamboo rod, long leader and micro fly makes people stop and watch. Sometimes this works with success. Where no one can see I fish #2 sculpin patterns and catch them. :)

When fishing the freestone water in the are, like Utyer said we have several hatches of olives mostly Baetis, they start out in april as a size 16 then later spring sz 18 late season they are a size 20. For the tialwaters in the area pretty much the same progression but a full size samll 18-20-22. there is also a hatch of a Procleon species that the tailwater fish will key on that is a size 22-24. for emergers I use sparkle duns, for dun patterns for 16-20 I tie regular up wing with hen tip wings for the samller stuff I use poly year in dun color for the wing. for spinners I use regular old rusty spinners with zlon wings. There are a few weekson some of the freestones were the BWO olives are the only consisten hatch it can get down right awesome as the fish get locked into them.

steve