Fly Tying
Bruce Derington

December Flies from the vice

Ah, once again, I show my ignorance of the trout side of fly tying. Bluegill would no doubt love that too, but I just haven't look past what's working for me. Since you've explained the presentation ... nicely tied fly !!!

Ah, once again, I show my ignorance of the trout side of fly tying. Bluegill would no doubt love that too, but I just haven't look past what's working for me. Since you've explained the presentation ... nicely tied fly !!!

thnx

My favorite blue gill pattern is Higa's SOS....it's my favorite patter for lots of things actually but it performs particularly well on blue gills.

Whenever Im out on a pond or lake and I come across a kid or father/son that looks new to the sport and not catching with their bobbers and worms I'll set them up with an SOS. I tell them if they dont catch a fish on the very first cast I'll eat the fly myself......haven't had to eat one yet and the looks on their doubting faces when the sunnies swarm that thing as soon as it touches the water is priceless.

I had to look that one up. Looks like a good pattern, lots of contrasting colors to draw the sunfish.

I might try tying up some of those.

Thanks.

eide,

Thanks for posting. Nice tube production, I am getting into tying on tubes in a big way. Even bought a new HMH vice with tube jaws that work great.

What kind of vice arrangement are you using? I cannot tell from the posted picture. I have progressed from putting a big needle in the jaws, to the vice adapters that come with a few mandrels, to the vice which is well designed for these applications; and I am not going back.

As a practical matter, what is the smallest hook equivalent size that you have tied? For me, it seems about a #12-14 is about the smallest that would work but I have been wrong before.

Will be trying to copy your nice work soon!!!!

well, just bought a tube adapter from Veniard a couple of weeks back (brand new to tube) to put on my vice, but not quite happy with it so I'm looking for a different solution (not quite there that I'll buy a dedicated vice yet!)

I have not fished with tube before, but the sunrays I have tied up will be used with a #10 double hook

Another one of this pattern, this time on a green tube and with a green disc in front. I should try to scale this one down to see how small I can make it

dryfly.me_.2013.12.11.green_orange_tag3-

A bunch of firsts for me..

SAM_1924_zps70c044e6.jpg

SAM_1930_zpse3479909.jpg

SAM_1931_zps0294657f.jpg

SAM_1943_zpsfd55c904.jpg

50e1ad51-c549-4846-9c1f-9b6d1c3b8608_zps

Solid dee there! Watch the size of your head though, about half that size would be good, smaller is great! Would you mind posting a straight on side view of the blind eye?

Phwoar, fishy stuff! I agree, get the heads smaller otherwise you are set. The covet jc wing is pretty nice! Re, heads - 3 wraps will secure fine so just monitor that i think, not so mich need to build a head infact quite the opposite - try and make it smaller haha a challenge, nice flies ;) also a little trick, use the wire return to your advantage, tying off certain tinsels, tags, stems can lay in that gap.

eide,

Beautiful work on that tube. Now I am inspired to go back to tubes for next ties. Ironically, I have been working on some nymphs and emergers, so back to the big ones for me.

Just started fly tying this last month. Here are some damsels I did up.

Body: Blue 2mm foam

Wings: White McFlylon

Legs: Hareline Small Round Rubber

Thread: Veevus Black 16/0

Hook: TMC 100 #12

Colored in the eyes and the tail bars with black sharpie. Simple pattern I came up with to try, I'm sure it's been done 10000 times before, but I like looking at flies and coming up with my own recipes and patterns to reproduce them.

Here's what I call the Steelhead Shrimp, again probably been done before.

Body: Pink Crystal Chenille

Throat: Pink Krystal Flash

Tail: Pink Blood Quill Marabou

Eyes: Hareline Medium Dumbell

Thread: Uni Pink Floss

Hook: Gammy T10-6H #4

Advice and critiques welcome, just starting out!

post-51018-0-89592500-1386703077_thumb.jpeg

post-51018-0-09369200-1386703378_thumb.jpeg

alpine4x4,

Looks like your last month was well spent. Good job on both, and they will catch fish.

You have come to the right place, imho- FTF is the superior site of it's kind on the www.com, but there are hundreds from which to choose, depending on what you want to twist up.

eide,

Beautiful work on that tube. Now I am inspired to go back to tubes for next ties. Ironically, I have been working on some nymphs and emergers, so back to the big ones for me.

Thanks for that!

Always good to switch between styles and methods when tying, makes one see problems from different angels imho. Looking forward to see some big ones!

Ye no name! Pretty simple but requires time which makes things like this rewarding and fun. Excuse the bad washed out image and small errors.

post-29540-0-55272000-1386713873_thumb.jpg