Fly Tying
lostnwilderness

Regal Medalion vs. Dyna King Barracuda

Of the two you mention the Regal hands down. The jaws on a Regal are made from two pieces whereas the Barracuda one. With a one piece jaw they must be hardened in one piece. there is little access to the working surfaces. That means they are difficult to harden. When I used a Barracuda I had to replace the midge jaws annually. It felt like I had never finished paying for it! Since then I always look for jaws made in two pieces.

Cheers,

C.

Pretty much a wash. The Barracuda is 'true rotary' which is handy whereas the Regal is much faster to load which is useful if you tie multiple sizes in a single sitting. Both will hold large hooks easily, but the Dyna-King jaws will crush smaller hooks if you are not careful, and I've always disliked having to tweak the tension until I get it "just right" (tm.). Both have nice solid pedestals which I prefer (if you get the Regal, get the bronze pocket base), and both companies have very good customer service. Suspect you would be happy with either.

Apple or Orange? Those two are different styles of vise. One is a true rotary, the other rotates. Whichever one fits your style is the one that you should choose. The Regal Revolution would be a better comparison to the Barracuda. And in that case i would say Revolution based solely on the fact that I like my Regals.

I've used both and prefer the Dyna-King, but I've never had to replace the jaws. A friend of mine has had to replace the jaws and has since gone back to using his Regal.

On the Dyna-King, I like that one can perfectly align the hook on the center axis for rotary tying. That being said, since I acquired a Nor-Vise, my Dyna-King has not been used.

So my advise is, if you do not plan to employ the rotary function when tying, buy the Regal. Or the new player, the Magna Vise. If rotary is your style, the Nor-Vise is the cat's meow.

I can only address the Regal. All I can say about it is I am happy with it and don't need a trade. I also have a renzetti traveler, a griffin and a few old thompsons but the regal is used 99 percent of the time.

I think the Dyna King is the best for larger bugs (size 6 and up). The Regal is a great vise, but it may spit hooks across the room if they are size 20 or smaller.

I have tied and done reviews on a lot of the popular vises that are out, and the Griffin Montana Mongoose is arguably the best vise out there. I have had 7/0 to #32 hooks in it with very minimal adjustment, and the material clip is the best in the business. It's right in the same price range (maybe even cheaper) than the Regal.

Cheech

I've had most types of vises - rotary, true rotary, fixed, pedestal, C-clamp. I decided to "simplify", and bought a Regal. Best move I ever made. Won't go back to any other vise, no matter how fancy and how loaded with "features". Built like a tank and very easy to use.

I keep hearing folks talk about the jaws spitting a hook across the room. Never had that happen, and it won't, if you position the hook properly in the jaws. And they tell you how to do that.

That said, vises are strictly a personnel preference. ALL of the major name brands are well built, and will last a good while. Try as many as you can to find the type / style that works best for you.

I have used both and I prefer the Regal, I like the concept with the Regal, just squeeze the handle and insert the hook and let go of the handle, no tension adjustments needed. The only drawback with the Regal is when you insert the hook make sure you put it in properly or it will spit it out and chip the jaws. I have the standard and midge jaws but if I was doing it again I would get the stainless jaws, looks like they would give you more working room when tying smaller flies.

Rodney

I've never owned or tied on a regal so I can't compare the two, but I do have a barracuda that I've been tying on for over 15yrs and have never had an issue. I have the midge jaws as well with no complaints. Like said tying vises are a very personal item, I couldn't imagine tying on any other.

This is like trying to choose a rod. Everyone is different. I have a Regal and can only comment on that. Though I liked it, I was frustrated at sometimes throwing hooks across the room. The jaws are very hard. After chipping a jaw, I returned it to Regal and upgraded to the stainless jaws. Big difference! Grips just as well, better with smaller hooks and it has yet to spit out a hook. To be fair, I’m sure most of the reasons for spitting the hook are on me. The stainless jaws however, make it “Rolf Proof”. For my tying, I can’t think of a better vice. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Like Flyunder I have used a Barracuda for at least 15 years and have never had an issue with the jaws. I use the standard jaws that came with it. Every so often I undo the collet and pull the jaws out to clean and lubricate them. Takes about 5 minutes every other year. I won't say it is better than other vices since I have always wanted to try a Regal but my experience is that it is a solid, durable well made product that will give years of service.

Steve

I would have to agree with Cheech. I have a Montana Mongoose and it is the best vise that I have ever used. I tried one of the regal vises in a competition once (I don't know what kind it was) and didn't like the fact that I couldn't use it with the ease of the rotary vise. I would recommend a Mongoose or other type of rotary vise.