Fly Tying
flywrites

Alternative Head Cement, I'll be using it from now on.

Hello,

I've been away from the fly tying forum for awhile, and I recently started tying again. I've spilled the little glass container of head cement all over the bench before while tying, and wasted the entire bottle. Everything is crowed on my bench, and I'm sure it's happen to others as well, and not just me I hope.

There is better alternative instead.

"I never thought of using fabric glue in a million years for fly tying, by pure luck I tried it, and it works! It's called Aleene's Fabric Fusion."

If you purchase the larger bottle, you get almost a litre of this stuff for about the same price of 2 little bottles of head cement, but it's just so much stronger.

One draw back though, you need nail polish remover to get off your and hands and skin.

Try Aleene's Fabric Fusion, your flies will never unravel again, so if your whip finish isn't perfect, don't worry, this glue will never let the head upwrap ever again.

-Flywrites

I used it on a few foam ties to toughen them up but it seems to have too long drying time for head cement.

why do you think this is spam?

aileens fabric fusion is an acceptable substitute for epoxy and for over coating fly bodies

the original poster is offering up another viable usage for the product

aileens fabric fusion is an acceptable substitute for epoxy and for over coating fly bodies

Because their ONLY post is advertising a specific product, with claims placed in quotes? It's an advert. It's spam.

Because their ONLY post is advertising a specific product, with claims placed in quotes? It's an advert. It's spam.

Yeah ... but if you check flywrites' profile ... been a member since 2005. I suppose you could convince your computer it's 2005, but I don't know if that would fool the site.

Anyway, you might be right, or flywrites just looks for patterns and doesn't post, until now.

I might be very jumpy, I guess, but that reads exactly like an advert in some magazine.

Anyway, ignore me. I'm not known for being particularly clever.

OK will do

So I guess posts that contain quotes are all spam?

OK will do

So I guess posts that contain quotes are all spam?

Perhaps it wasnt a clear enough retraction?

I'm sorry for saying it was spam. It might not be.

Actually it looks to me like a post where the poster (postist?) copied and pasted some text. But leaving aside that possibility, what I'd like to know is, has anyone else used it, and is it so much better than Sally Hansen or other head cements? If it is, I'll give it a try.

I often do not use head cement on trout flies. I never heard of Aleene's so I googled fly tying and it. There a over a thousand stories. Who knew

A lot of the saltwater guys are using Fusion, even those that only tie jigs & teasers.

Aleene's has a couple of good adhesive products that fly tiers can use. I don't see this as spam either, just as Sally Hansen's is mentioned a lot on here.

There's no links to other sites either. Typical spammers will post links. IMO, a good post & great tip, even for a first post.

I use Aileen's a lot on heads and to coat eyes to secure them on baitfish flies. It's great, cheap, and easy to use. The only problem is since it is a water based product, as it dries, which does take a while when poured on thickly, it shrinks (evaporates?) making it a process to build up epoxy type heads. To build up heads you need to apply several coats and use a turner as it will sag. For just head cement practices I find it is stronger than Sally Hansens, it dries with a thicker consistency more like epoxy. It stays clear and doesn't yellow like epoxy

does this mean that we can no longer pass on a tip that a product is good for fly tying because that is considered advertising and is spam