Fly Tying
breambuster

Finding Tailing Material

I don't tie that many dry flies, but there are several patterns I want to tie. So I'm thinking about either the Whiting 100's pack or the small patches from Bass Pro Shop that sell for about $12 & that have hackle for size 14 & 16 flies. One problem that I found there is that Bass Pro Shop sells these in Medium Blue Dun, but not in Ginger. The other choice is their "Premium 1/2 Cape," but they are right at $38 a piece. But I can get both Medium Blue Dun and either light or medium Ginger in the 100's pack. But if I do that, where do I come up with the tailing material? While the company that I mail order my supplies from sells strung saddle hackle, they don't sell either Dun or Ginger strung hackle. So where do I come up with just a few feathers that I could use for tailing material? Just one decent feather would supply tailing material for several flies. So what do you guys do?

Thanks

BB

Indian Hen Saddle, lots of colors for not very much money, under $6.00. Tailing material plus soft hackles. Lots of choices at Angler's Workshop: http://www.anglersworkshop.com/hackle-hen-saddle.html. Plus they are having a 20% off sale right now! I have also found them in big box sporting good stores for around $4.00.

OK, Bob, if you say so. I wouldn't have thought about using hen for dry fly hackle or tailing material. Is there anything special I need to know about using this material?

BB

Breambuster, I have lots of spade hackles from rooster capes in those colors--excellent for tailing dries. PM me your address and I will happily send you some.

If a generous soul like Bryon does not step up, Whiting Tailing Packs come in a bunch of colors, including ginger. They are not cheap, however. Collins Hackle often pop up in these threads, as well, and his spade hackle is very affordable, and often gets good reviews.

OK, Bob, if you say so. I wouldn't have thought about using hen for dry fly hackle or tailing material. Is there anything special I need to know about using this material?

BB

I wouldn't hackle dry flies, but they make good flymphs and soft hackle flies. Took a class from a tyer this spring who uses them for tying soft hackles, Most of the feathers at the peak have enough strudy barbules for tailing, use the ones nearest the bottom above the fuzz. I'll send you some and you can see what you think.

For dry fly hackle, and tails, spend the $$ and get good quality. Nothing worse than a dry fly that doesn't float right due to poor materials.

Thanks, Bob. I would appreciate it. I would like to experiment with it and see how it works for me. I'll be fishing in a mountain stream so the water can be fairly swift where I'll be fishing.

Thanks Todvan. I get your point.

Take care

BB

The Microfibetts are a great tailing material and the paintbrush fibers work well but if you use paintbrush fibers try to find a paintbrush that come to a pointed tip. Many paintbrushes have "exploded" tips because the frayed tips hold paint better.

Another thing you might try is to use guard hairs from furs like Muskrat, Beaver, Woodchuck, Badger and such. Guard hairs make great tailing and if you can find the actual "tail" from a Mink or Otter you'll have tailing for a long time.