Fly Tying

Steve

If I were into Sage I would buy one. The problem I have is that I have a 10 wt on a matrix blank that you built for me that I like better than any sage rod I have fished including the Sage One so I'd just buy another rod built on a Matrix blank and save money. Btw, if you ever find I deal on Helios blanks let me know, I'm first!

That's probably why they charge so much... you're paying for that guy's chomped replacement.

Basically just wanted to judge the market/feelings on that price point guys rather than seeing if anyone of you guys want one or not. Always good to get a bit of feedback from a focus group of anglers before making any big decisions.

Far as price I do feel that a quality made custom product should be more than a factory rod, but with companies like Sage they have boosted their prices through mega advertising to the point of a used car, so going higher than factory prices would put the rod in a area that I personally would not feel comfortable charging someone. Honest profit for an honest days work is the way I was raised and that's also how I run my company.

As to warranty- yes they would carry pretty much the same warranty as Sage off the rack rods. $50 to get a replacement section and then probably $20 my labor so that would be the only difference.

Thanks for the feedback.

Steve

Throw in an ice cream cone and I'd ... no, I still couldn't afford it.

But I bet they'll be pretty !!!

Having never cast a Sage, I can't comment on their quality other than what I have read. They certainly have a large following. Anyone who owns one of your rods would have to agree that your quality would be far above the standard Sage rod. And a reduced-price, custom-built rod on a Sage blank would represent an incredible value. But to your question; no, I would not be interested for no other reason than I couldn't afford it even at your reduced prices. But, I'm probalby not your target demographic; retired with not a lot of excess cash laying aound.

Watever you decide, I wish you the best of luck.

steve

if this blank is everything that it seems to be, then a custom build on it would appeal to that crowd even more i think. everyone kinda gets caught into keeping up with the Jone's; custom rods is one of the few areas that someone can up the ante. think of it this way.....think of as having two brand new GT350's. one comes straight off of the showroom floor. the other one goes to a custom shop (built up to the customer's specs), still has the factory warranty, costs less and will be separate from all the rest. that would be your rod vs. a factory rod. only a fool (imo) would spend more for a (boring) factory rod.

build them, and they will come. i think that once the word gets out, that inventory that you worried about carrying will be gone.

your work is top drawer. believe in it.

....... or charge a grand a pop for each one. i'm quite sure you wash away your tears of guilty in Patagonia or such with the extra money, lol.

Let me guess Mike....Blue Moon ice cream? lol

LOL No ... my FOOD doesn't have to be Blue.

Pralines and cream will get me into bed quicker than a stack of money.

I guess that's why Wife says I am a cheap date ... maybe?

Steve,

You have probably already thought through this but...

Launching a new up scale product probably ought not be based too much on a survey of the crowd already sold on your lower price point customers who have been spoiled by the deals you currently offer on good-as-it-gets-for-the-price custom rods. .

Entering a new market with clientele who pop for "top of the line" gear w/o too much angst puts you in competition with the major companies with massive ad saturation and mandatory appearances at shows etc. They also have been know to use sales gimmicks like giving rods to guides, high visibility fishing bums, and shill writers in order to establish 'gotta have' product recognition. Then they put out lots of product to gather dust in stores. You probably do not want and wont get that kind of business so kiss off the status seeking segment of the market.

Left over are the flinty-eyed crowd who actually know, insist on, and will pay for quality workmanship and often learn of good work only via wood of mouth. That's the group I'd target but denting it would depend on the competition already out there and a willingness to wait for recognition to spread. You do have an edge in the personalized touches you offer that most custom makers do not offer or do well. Folks interested in giving serious anglers important birthday, retirement etc gifts that they will be both proud of and use might just be a market you could corner. ( I gave my fishing partner a flask engraved with his work nickname "60 Grit" which he carries to this day loaded for a stream side celebration after landing THE steelhead of his life.)

Rocco

If someone fishes a lot a high quality rod makes sense and a custom built rod is at worse comparable to a factory rod but usually much better. Nothing against factory rods, they make them for an average blank and use the minumum number of guides while a custom builder uses all the guides needed and places them in the correct location for the specific blank. There are many more reasons why custom rods are better. I build all my own but would be interested if you are willing to part with a blank?