Fly Tying
deerhairdan

December Flies From the Bench

Don't be too impressed ... Eide just ties one, then photoshops copies to look like he's tied multiple flies perfectly.

two flies of mine look exactly alike.>

Ok so here's the first attempt. Gave it one more coat of varnish and called it good..... haha wow these guys have talent. I struggled to tie one.

Anyways they can only get better from here....

post-32306-0-90517000-1450189002_thumb.jpg

IMG_7889_zpszschvb5r.jpg

IMG_7896_zpspl4vd3x1.jpg

IMG_7899_zpsrvlpcg4l.jpg

IMG_7905_zpsamtxqmtk.jpg

Another Kiwi pattern. Didn't have any pukeko feathers for the wing, but found some woodduck that's a bit darker blue; it's not quite right, but it'll do.

hook - Mustad 3906 #4

thread - Danville 6/0 black

tail - Australian possum dyed black (original called for black squirrel)

rib - tinsel silver

body - rug yarn dubbing orange

wing - woodduck iridescent blue

hackle - orange

Regards,

Scott

If you dont mind me asking, are you focus stacking these photos? And what aperture do you shoot at? Thank you

Joseph,

I really like your fly and image presentation. Beautiful.

Ray

If your talking to me I cant take credit I was quoting SbPatt. Asking him about his photos!

Wanted a long skinny fly that didn't weigh too much for skinny water fishing. Came up with this, which I think I will call a Transducer. The tail is tied to a loop of 30# mono about 5" long when doubled. Then the tail is tied to the back of the loop. Then the mono is threaded through the body braid. The back end of the braid is lashed down over the tail near the end of the mono loop. Then the whole body braid tail segment is tied just over the point of the hook. Don't cut the ends of the mono loop (they become the weed guards.) I use Chickaboo for both the tail and the hackle.

post-12074-0-51368700-1450220347_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-65835500-1450220357_thumb.jpg

Very interesting utyer, never seen anything quite like that. Nicely done.

Wanted a long skinny fly that didn't weigh too much for skinny water fishing. Came up with this, which I think I will call a Transducer. The tail is tied to a loop of 30# mono about 5" long when doubled. Then the tail is tied to the back of the loop. Then the mono is threaded through the body braid. The back end of the braid is lashed down over the tail near the end of the mono loop. Then the whole body braid tail segment is tied just over the point of the hook. Don't cut the ends of the mono loop (they become the weed guards.) I use Chickaboo for both the tail and the hackle.

The other name for this pattern is the Alepf. It is one of the late Jack Gartside's signature flies. Detailed instructions are on jackgartsidedotcom.

Johnnyq,

Thanks for the link, I have never seen that before, but imitation (even if unintentional,) is the sincerest form of flattery. Jacks flies are usually great patterns, I am glad to have stumbled on one of his, gives me hope that it will prove itself tomorrow.

Look forward to seeing your flies in a fish Harvard.

Me too, know just where I'm going to swing these next year!

Finally got my set of Durham Ranger varnished and ready smile.png

Eide, everytime, they're just perfect. Great job.

Thanks!

Don't be too impressed ... Eide just ties one, then photoshops copies to look like he's tied multiple flies perfectly.

<This is what I tell myself, when no two flies of mine look exactly alike.>

shhh! don't tell anyone!

Ok so here's the first attempt. Gave it one more coat of varnish and called it good..... haha wow these guys have talent. I struggled to tie one.

Anyways they can only get better from here....

First attempt? Not bad at all!

How big is the hook? You got all the base elements down, now just keep practicing at the pattern and try to improve!