Fly Tying
Fish For Life

Adding legs to spun hair flys

What is the best way to add legs to spun deer hair flys? After you have finished trimming to the desired shape, how do you get the legs into the body? Do you just drag them down carefully through the body, or is there some other better way to do this? Whenever i try to get the legs done this way, i always end up capturing so much hair when i pull the legs down, leaving the fly with a gap of no hair where the legs went in. Am i just not being careful enough, or is there a better way. I always see such nice spun hair flys, with perfect legs right through the middle of the body. I just dont know how they do it.

Thanks

Use a bobbin threader or a long seeing needle. Thread the legs through the needle and push it through.

If using a bobbin threader, push it through, thread the legs through the end of the wire loop, and pull it back the way it came.

There are tools called "leg pullers" that you use to pull rubber legs through deer hair. I just use a canvas needle and "sew" them through. Get them in position, pull out to one side a little, apply sealant or glue and pull back into position.

Chris Helm videos show him adding the legs as he ties the fly. Spin the hair to the point where you want the legs and then tie in the leg strand with an over-hand knot at that point; glue if you like. Pull the uncut legs back to a material holder. This will keep them buried in the hair when you go to trim and shape the hair. Add more deer hair and then keep adding legs at the places that you want them.

Thanks, Bob H

The leg puller tools are for hard cork or foam poppers. Bob h. Is correct. Tie them in and continue spinning hair

Belly hair is best than body hair. Bucktail, no way. What makes the hair flair is it being hallow. You can spin elk hair also but it is more difficult. The hollow "tube" in elk is not as large as deer.

Chris Helm videos show him adding the legs as he ties the fly. Spin the hair to the point where you want the legs and then tie in the leg strand with an over-hand knot at that point; glue if you like. Pull the uncut legs back to a material holder. This will keep them buried in the hair when you go to trim and shape the hair. Add more deer hair and then keep adding legs at the places that you want them.

Thanks, Bob H

This is how I add legs to spun hair bugs--I didn't know the trick of leaving the rubber strands long and pulling them back into a material holder, thereby burying them in the hair during the trimming process, though. Good tip! I always tried to trim around them and ended up cutting them off as often as not. Thanks for sharing this Bob H.

what kind of deer hair is best? i dont make them yet but want to try

For topwater bugs you definitely want deer belly hair, it makes the densest bodies and floats the best. I now buy mine exclusively from Pat Cohen at www.rusuperfly.com. That's not to say you can't get good hair elsewhere, but I consistently get outstandingly good hair from Pat's site and can recommend it without hesitation.

Here is how I do it since I don't tie enough hair bugs to justify a $12 leg puller. The leg puller is Kool though. I don't bother with any adhesive since I don't feel they are going anywhere. I simply use a good size sewing needle. Try to push the needle through right above the hook shank. Having the fly in a vise usually helps but not necessary.

post-54877-0-27108700-1453136749_thumb.jpg

post-54877-0-22266600-1453136770_thumb.jpg

post-54877-0-29901600-1453136779_thumb.jpg

That, Johnny, is what a canvas needle looks like. Nothing but a large sewing needle. Works well.

I do use glue, though. I've found that sunfish will bite at the legs and pull them out if I don't glue them. I didn't used to glue them on my foam body poppers, either, until I'd get a few bites and realize my legs were either gone, or almost pulled out of the foam.

They all get glued in place now.

I'll pull them to one side, so that the exact center of the legs is exposed. Put a drop of fleximent or other glue there, then pull it back to the center of the fly.

Be sure to check the glue you are using. Superglue, for example, destroys FTD's bug legs, and some other rubber legs I have, too. On those materials, I use a craft glue that takes a little longer to set ... doesn't have the same solvents in it, I guess.